Like Tree7Likes

What do single people do alone throughout their day?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:

Having free time alone might be considered a luxury for some.
    haha, thats so true.

Quote Originally Posted by rottenlemon:
    That sounds good~ I guess I'm just stressed out as my flight is in less than 2 weeks. Like getting cold feet. I'm not the type who runs in the face of challenge, so I will definitely not be like "oh if you're scared then don't come". I'm just wondering what people usually do and how they dealt with the stress. I'm not asking IF I should make the move. Because Oh Ya I'm moving.
    you can just meet random people everywhere. in shops, on the street, in taxis, in restaurants, in bars, on planes (just a few that iv done). yes you may meet weird people... but the weirdest people are the most interesting right?

just be careful that the random person willing to talk to you is not planing to sell you something... like insurance, clothes, dodgy stuff etc etc.

What I've been doing alone on my vacation:
    - go to the gym
    - photography
    - walk around the seemingly endless supply of shopping malls
    - EAT!

Though if I were to LIVE in Hong Kong, I'd be sure to find some friends in any way possible :P Living in solitude brings out the worst in you

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    you can just meet random people everywhere. in shops, on the street, in taxis, in restaurants, in bars, on planes (just a few that iv done).
    i met my husband in a shop in TST. he was working there and i was buying something!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i met my husband in a shop in TST. he was working there and i was buying something!
    That's very inspiring! That's what I meant by "alone".... I meant without someone who would do the grocery shopping with you, go wandering around town with you, and basically do the small little daily things with you. I hate being single.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoidandroid:
    Living in solitude brings out the worst in you
    I have to take issue with that. Some of the nicest people I've ever known have been bitter, paranoid hermits. But seriously, when did solitude become a bad thing? I know a few married people whose existences would be improved no end by a bit of alone-time.

My take on this is pretty much the day you land and unpack is keep busy.

You need to start networking asap and look for chamber of commerce lunchtime networking events and such like to make new contacts and keep you busy during the day.

I was in the same position as you when I arrived in January last year and I ended up procrastinating for a while but then threw myself into finding a job, Keep an eye on Geoexpat events such as the Lunch meets to make new friends and go to the Happy hrs etc, HK can be a pretty lonely place at times when you first arrive but its very easy to make new friends.

Your current fears and negativity are only going to make things worse when you do arrive so think of it as a fresh challenge and a new start in life and enjoy the adventure, 18 months on and I love it out here and have a great bunch of friends.

yes, but i'd lived in hk for over 3 years on my own before i met him.

ps> i'm sure if i'd displayed the attitude you have, i would NOT have had as much fun when i came, and neither would my husband have been interested in me.

you're lucky. you DO know people. i knew NO ONE!

this is a bit geeky, but I'd get myself a library card.... the Central Library is pretty impressive

Hong Kong Central Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

love catching the ferry, and the walk from Star Ferry Terminal to Causeway Bay

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast