Like Tree7Likes

What do single people do alone throughout their day?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bechampions:
    but u need company for the countryside
    Why? You just need a map and off you go.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Why? You just need a map and off you go.
    That does depend a little. For HK Trail, Lantau Trail or Maclehose perhaps; if you want to go up some of the less used trails around our place where the tracks are rugged and nobody comes by every 5 mins, a companion is wise just for safety sake. Certainly there was no cellphone reception at the exact point where one of our hikers collapsed and had he been there on his own, I think he might have died.

A lot of you seem to have overlooked that the OP is from and grew up in HK, which means HK isn't an "adventure" for him as it is for many of you and he probably has already been there and done that with the numerous "must-do" things listed here.

I am from here and I honestly find the city boring: it doesn't have the active cultural scene that other major cities have and sure I can go hiking or do the beach but with the heat I can hike only several months a year and the pollutions kind of keep me away from those beaches.

I woudn't mind knowing what others do to enjoy their spare time either.

Surf Geoexpat

Why only hike several months of the year? Our hiking group goes year-round - in summer we do easier/coastal/stream trekking or hikes in forests - no worries.

I just came back after traveling for a bit. Job hunting & I feel pretty busy, but it is a boring city to live in & I love my culture, museums & art!

I work on my resume,
    Work on my showreel,
    Surfing in Big Wave Bay when the waves are good,
    Check millions of sites for jobs around the world not just Hong Kong,
    Send out e-mails with resumes,
    Update my websites & social networks that I use to find jobs & Connect with industry friends,
    Banking,
    Research for projects or ideas I have,
    Watching my fave shows I missed through the summer online,
    Try to watch what I'm eating - no kitchen (take away)
    Visit friends & hang out,
    Read,
    Exercise,
    Go to an outdoor public pool & read trashy mags while tanning,
    Complain to my friends about being jobless,
    Skype my family,
    Catch up with my fave artists & sports people online,twitter, facebook.

Last edited by jackillin1; 02-10-2009 at 03:57 AM.

No culture?

It's a bit of an old saw that Hong Kong has no culture. I was talking to the flautist from the Hong Kong Philharmonic the other day, who was bemoaning the fact that everyone derides Hong Kong for having no culture, when there's all sorts of concerts, opera going on through the year. (Museums aren't so great, but that's a different point.) And then there's the film festival, although advising somebody to sit in a darkened room for a couple of hours is not going to wash as a good way to meet people.

Then again, I think you can struggle to meet people in Hong Kong. When I first got here, I had issues with the normal approach being to go to LKF and drink San Miguel until falling-down-time; I realised fairly early on that you have to be proactive in all this - staying at home bemoaning your lot will not help. Nor does going on internet forums.

Anyway, what I do if I'm bereft of things to do is hire a cab to Tai Tam, wait till we're up on the Eastern Highway, then stick both my hands over the taxi driver's eyes. I've met lots of wonderful and interesting people this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopadoodledoo:
    It's a bit of an old saw that Hong Kong has no culture. I was talking to the flautist from the Hong Kong Philharmonic the other day, who was bemoaning the fact that everyone derides Hong Kong for having no culture, when there's all sorts of concerts, opera going on through the year. (Museums aren't so great, but that's a different point.) And then there's the film festival, although advising somebody to sit in a darkened room for a couple of hours is not going to wash as a good way to meet people.
    There are cultural institutions, but that's not the same as having culture. What people bemoan is a lack of creativity and originality - the feeling that something new and exciting is happening, a kind of buzz that you don't get here. It isn't about having enough cinemas, it's about having a variety of cinemas and knowing that you can go out on any day and watch something in the order of Renoir, Tarkovsky, Mizoguchi or something equally great but new. It's about people experimenting and doing something potentially revolutionary.

Hong Kong has an art market and a wine market and the world's 19th best philharmonic, say, but none of this is created here. It isn't Hong Kong. It's culture by proxy. Almost everything is imported.* Sticking some more low-quality museums in West Kowloon won't change that.

*Yes, there's Cantonese opera and some musty temples. But this isn't culture, it's the preservation of something half-dead. Fine in its place, but it won't do for anyone with a creative bone in their body. The roots of what's popular in HK, be it fashion or film or photography, are thousands of miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    ...start being proactive and positive.

Many many people come here alone. People have arrived in Hong Kong in worse situations than you, so get over it. When you are here, you should devote as much time as you can (bare) to finding a job. Whether it is scouring the internet, typing applications, reading papers, networking or just getting out and about seeing where potential employers are located, you need to try your best at finding a job.

You don't say what sort of job your are qualified for or what you are wanting, but no job is just going to find you.

With the help of a map and some good shoes, walking around Hong Kong will familarise yourself with it and allow you to get the local "feel". If someone is picking you up from the airport, you have at least one acquantence here, that is one more than I had. I am sure I am not the only one here who thinks that Hong Kong can open up a world of possibilities. You are lucky to be able to take the change - grab it with both hands and make the most of it!

So, start posting positive things and as the popular saying goes, when you are given lemons, make a lemon martini.

Good Luck.
    I couldn't have said it any better. Just keep a positive attitude, being negative will only bring negativity(obviously).... Just keep your head up and keep yourself busy.

@rottenlemon --> how are you adjusting so far? i'm moving back to HK on November 8. Any advice? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by jackillin1:
    I just came back after traveling for a bit. Job hunting & I feel pretty busy, but it is a boring city to live in & I love my culture, museums & art!

I work on my resume,
    Work on my showreel,
    Surfing in Big Wave Bay when the waves are good,
    Check millions of sites for jobs around the world not just Hong Kong,
    Send out e-mails with resumes,
    Update my websites & social networks that I use to find jobs & Connect with industry friends,
    Banking,
    Research for projects or ideas I have,
    Watching my fave shows I missed through the summer online,
    Try to watch what I'm eating - no kitchen (take away)
    Visit friends & hang out,
    Read,
    Exercise,
    Go to an outdoor public pool & read trashy mags while tanning,
    Complain to my friends about being jobless,
    Skype my family,
    Catch up with my fave artists & sports people online,twitter, facebook.
    hey jackillin1, How are the waves in Hong Kong, I heard BigWaveBay is a pretty decent spot. I'm from the Philippines, and surf whenever the swells come in. I just started surfing seriously this year, and don't plan on stopping just because I'm moving to a different country. hehe I'm moving to HK on November 8, let me know how the surf is. It's something to look forward to!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast