Mid-Autumn Festival

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mid-Autumn Festival

Where are the best places to go this weekend for the festival celebrations and whats it all about?

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Entertainm...al2/index.html

Best place is Victoria Park on Sunday night. Dont quite understand what it is all about apart from celebrating the moon - anyhows you get a day off work so thats great with me.

Can someone explain what "burning wax" means?

I know it's not burning candles, so what is it and why is it so dangerous?

Wax burning causes the most serious harm. The wax content of candles changes from its solid form into invisible gases when heated. The gas produced in this process is inflammable and when people gather in a small circle to watch the wax burning activity, heated fume rises and is entrapped in a small space. When the volume of fume accumulates and reaches a certain level of density and temperature, the slightest amount of oxygen input together with the fire underneath could ignite an explosion and burst into an enormous fireball in less than a second. The mechanism is similar to the explosion of a leaking gas stove. Unlike the kind of flames you see on a baked Alaska ice-cream, the surrounding crowd will not have enough time to escape and injuries would be inevitable. The speed of the explosion is so fast that it will be too late to escape when you see the sparkling flame. Wounds created in a fire accident could cause disfigurement or even fatal injuries. The phenomenon is in essence an abrupt & unexpected explosion resulting in massive burn wounds which are deep due to the splashing hot melted wax.

By the way, the dragon dance thingy in Victoria park is worthwhile going. see you there tonight.

me and my posse might be in victoria park tonight...anyone who wants to join....just holler!!

Heya Angie, what time will people be meeting up tonight?? Anyone know the time when the major festivities start?

victoria park - 8pm to 11pm..check out http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Entertainm...l2/index.html# for more info.

will there be an official party at victoria park for geoexpat?

i knew that someone would say that...since i have got that title of the geoexpat party planner...

question to your answer is "no" travie...sorry!

is there a firworks show ? Read something about it in the SCMP but when and where ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast