Navaratri Celebration / Garba / Dandiya Dance??

Closed Thread

Smile Navaratri Celebration / Garba / Dandiya Dance??

Hi Group,

I'm die hard Indian folk dance fan. You guys know it is Navaratri time and guys are having DANDIYA and GARBA dance back in India..

Is there any place in HK where we have Navratri Celebrations / Dandiya / Garba dance??

Thanks a ton in advance..

Pankaj

The Gujarat Samaj usually organise a dandiya thingy at the Holiday Inn in TST

They are listed in our resources directory:

http://www.geoexpat.com/Hong_Kong/Or..._Samajh_L43/ra

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

http://www.cybernoon.com/RoundAndAbout.asp?section=busybee&subsection=round andabout

The wife was saying: "Before we know it, Navratri will be over, let us go to a dandiya ras progamme tonight."
    "There is no dandiya ras any more," I told her. "It is all disco dancing. You may as well go to 1990s as to Podar Ground, Santa Cruz (West)."
    "How would you know this?" the wife said. "You never go to 1990s and you never go to a dandiya ras."
    "I see it on TV, on In Mumbai," I said. "Nobody claps those sticks any more, as they used to do in Ahmedabad and Mehsana. They all do disco dancing, even elderly ladies, from 8 p.m. to 11.30 p.m., then the police stops them, because patients in hospitals nearby have to sleep and children have to get up early in the morning to do their homework."
    "I don't see what all this has got to do with our going to a Navratri programme tonight. You better get the tickets now, I am told it is very difficult to get them at the last minute."
    "It is very difficult to get them even now," I said. "All the Gujaratis of Vile Parle and Ghatkopar buy them months in advance. We will organise tickets next year and go."
    "We are going tonight," the wife said. "Who knows whether next year also Mr. Navalkar
    will allow them to continue till 11.30. Use your influence with Jaggu Dada and get the tickets."
    "Who's Jaggu Dada? I don't know any Jaggu Dada," I said. "I wish you wouldn't mention such names early in the morning."
    "There is always a Jaggu Dada," the wife said. "You have to only find out where he is, he will do the needful. And get yourself some proper clothes to wear, you must look festive."
    "I beg your pardon, I don't want to look festive. I refuse to look like a Rajasthani camel driver," I said.
    "Over every point, there has to be an argument," the wife said. "Go to Prathana Samaj, there are several shops there which will outfit you. Just check that the turban is not saffron, pink will do, that there is enough mirror work in the jacket, and your pajamas are tight under the knee and flaring above the knees."
    "I will look like one of those actors in Gujarati films," I said. "People who you can't make out whether they are heroes or villains till the rape scene."
    "Never mind that," said the wife. "And see that the shirt you buy is of a light material and round at the bottom, so that it swirls up above your waist when you take a turn on the dandiya floor, displaying the strings of your pajamas."
    "I don't think we will get the tickets," I said. "First, let me see if I can get the tickets, before we go through the expenditure of buying the clothes."
    "You will get the tickets, meet Jaggu Dada," the wife said. "Also tell him to arrange for our live TV coverage while we are dandiya discoing.