Trying to be a good host.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll go and check the China Resource Building and China Travel out.

How long does it usually take? We don't want to go to Lo Wu. The guy is only here for eight days but he still wants to go to Beijing, so we might go there for two days. But damn, the flights are expensive. LOL. It's cheaper to fly to Thailand, Korea, Taiwan, etc.

It takes 3 days for standard processing. Bear in mind though that you may need to queue both when you apply for and collect the visa. If he doesn't want to take up part of his holiday with this it might be better to get one at home before coming to HK.

The message on the Foreign Ministries website about needing to apply in your own country for a Chinese visa is an old one. Non HK residents can get a Chinese visa from the visa office in Wanchai, and while normally it is limited to a double entry 30 day visa, if that person has previous China visas and/or puts in a complicated itinerary, longer visas are sometimes possible.

I believe that the message is kept on the website so that if there is a sudden change in policy and restrictions are placed on obtaining Chinese visas in HK, then the Foreign Ministry can say that there has been 'no change in policy' and point to the notice on the website.

Note that for Australians and Americans, if they apply in their own country they can usually get a one year multiple entry visa. For Americans this is the same price as for a single entry.

Last edited by drumbrake; 31-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuSoNasty:
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll go and check the China Resource Building and China Travel out.

How long does it usually take? We don't want to go to Lo Wu. The guy is only here for eight days but he still wants to go to Beijing, so we might go there for two days. But damn, the flights are expensive. LOL. It's cheaper to fly to Thailand, Korea, Taiwan, etc.
    Try looking at flights from Shenzhen instead. They are a lot cheaper than from HK airport and you can get there easily by express bus from the Elements mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Try looking at flights from Shenzhen instead. They are a lot cheaper than from HK airport and you can get there easily by express bus from the Elements mall.
    You beat me to it! Yes - that's the way to go. ctrip.com is one website you can use to check out flights.

Great idea Stu. I knew there were cheaper flights somewhere, thought it was Macau but I was wrong, will check Shenzhen.