Yes, there really is an indie music scene in Hong Kong!

Closed Thread

Yes, there really is an indie music scene in Hong Kong!

I'm tired of people asking about independent music in Hong Kong and being answered by those who clearly have no idea what's going on. So here, for the record, I'm providing a brief guide to indie Hong Kong. Please feel free to add to this.

GOOD INDIE BANDS, MUSICIANS AND MCs
    All of these bands and musicians perform regularly

INDIE MUSIC VENUES
    Some are not exclusively indie, and others are more cafes or artspaces than music venues, but they all host regular gigs, be they all-out rock, electro or quiet acoustic guitar-strumming

INDIE MUSIC SHOWCASES

INDIE BARS
    Bars that either play indie music, attract a crowd from the indie scene or are simply indie in spirit

• Bassment -- Cheap drinks and some danceable indie electro
      13 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central
    • Club 71 -- Laid back, indie in political spirit if not always in music
      Man Hing Lane, Central
    • Sense 99 -- Fridays and Saturdays only, jam space on the top floor
      2/F, 99 Wellington Street, Central
    • Sammi's Kitchen -- Dive bar with regular shows and DJ nights
      137 Connaught Road, Sheung Wan
    • Phonograph -- Occasional shows, nice atmosphere, lots of musicians hang out here
      2 Austin Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui

OTHER INDIE PLACES

ESSENTIAL READING
    Here's where you find out about gigs and one-off events like festivals or art-and-music shows

Last edited by shri; 29-11-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

what happened alternative bands such as qui hong, dear jane and audiotraffic

Dear Jane is around --- thanks for reminding me of them. In September they organized a rooftop art show, movie screening and concert on top of an old industrial building in To Kwa Wan.

Their music is a bit commercial-sounding for my tastes, plus they're part of the mainstream music industry, but they're certainly independent in spirit. They're part of the whole Beyond stream of HK music.

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_mtl:
    Their music is a bit commercial-sounding for my tastes
    You mean it's good enough that people would actually pay money for it?

What's with the snark?

Chochukmo has a very un-commercial sound and yet they played to a full house at Grappa's Cellar last night.