Like Tree8Likes

Opening a Bar/ Resturant - Suggest Locations

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHK:
    Hey SamhkExpat

But if you do decide to open a bar in Yuen Long, could you put a pool table in as well, or make it a karaoke bar coz I'd deffo come the bars I've seen here tend to just have the dice games & electronic dart machines
    Are karaoke bars (the public open type) popular here? I would have thought the norm to be karaoke rooms with room service et al.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Are karaoke bars (the public open type) popular here? I would have thought the norm to be karaoke rooms with room service et al.
    I think karaoke bars would be fairly popular with the LKF / WC / TST Knutsford Terrace party people...
    I personally hate this karaoke room thing, so boring... Maybe I just need an audience.
    But again, such a karaoke bar would need to be right in the middle of the action, it would just not succeed in new towns I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Although it's heavily local that area - but I agree - a nice area. We go there from time to time to eat, but find most of the restaurants (even the "italian" and "indian" have been "chinesified" which tends to give you an idea of the clientele.....)
    Couldnt agree more!
    The Indian is not too bad, but there are better ones out there. Prices are very fair though...
    The Italian has never seen any Italian employee I think.
    But again, the food is pretty nice and the tiramisu just amazing.

U pay HK$ 150 or so and can order as many times from the menu as u want. The portions are small by purpose, so that u can really try many items. They dont do any pizzas or so, but the stuff they do is not bad.

There is also a well-priced Thai restaurant in Sham Tseng. It's also not the best Thai food I have ever had, but decent enough for a Thai dinner and a Singha. Lunch menu is only in CHinese, but the main menu is also available in English.

Most of the roasted goose restaurants turn into bars at night. They even have Carlsberg / Heineken / ... promotion gals running around... But the expat factor is pretty low in the average, so not sure if a proper bar would work here.

In Tsuen Wan you have a few local bars (BarPacific among others), but many locals and some expats (mainly teachers) made the Outback Steakhouse bar their home.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD:
    Couldnt agree more!
    The Indian is not too bad, but there are better ones out there. Prices are very fair though...
    The Italian has never seen any Italian employee I think.
    But again, the food is pretty nice and the tiramisu just amazing.

U pay HK$ 150 or so and can order as many times from the menu as u want. The portions are small by purpose, so that u can really try many items. They dont do any pizzas or so, but the stuff they do is not bad.

There is also a well-priced Thai restaurant in Sham Tseng. It's also not the best Thai food I have ever had, but decent enough for a Thai dinner and a Singha. Lunch menu is only in CHinese, but the main menu is also available in English.

Most of the roasted goose restaurants turn into bars at night. They even have Carlsberg / Heineken / ... promotion gals running around... But the expat factor is pretty low in the average, so not sure if a proper bar would work here.

In Tsuen Wan you have a few local bars (BarPacific among others), but many locals and some expats (mainly teachers) made the Outback Steakhouse bar their home.
    There is a "belgium bar" at the back of the Centaline/Universal real estate agency in ST.

Sai kung "Duke Of York" is up for sale apparently

Being a GC resident myself, I would love to see a normal bar set up in the GC Piazza area! There definately is a need for one!

Just my 2 cents. If you are going to open a bar for expats, the things appreciate are the basic things being done well. For instance, getting the orders right, having staff who know what they are serving, knowing how to mix a martini or mojito properly without guessing. know it sounds obvious but surprisingly there are a few bars around with lots of fancy bells and whistles but don't do the basic things that they should be doing.
    Example: With a friend who asked for glass of advertised champagne. Turned
    out tobe Prosseco. When asked about that the manager said that it was acceptable to serve Prosseco as substitute because most patrons can't tell the difference.
    Another place advertised martinis but when oredered one the bar tender didn't know how to mix one. Settled for beer inatead.
    Its really easy to lose business by not getting little and simple things right.
    Posted via Mobile Device