Like Tree3Likes

Taco Bell in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

here in the past but failed (from memory, since 1995...please feel free to add to the list~~~):

arby's
    wendy's
    hardee's
    krispy kreme
    dairy queen
    USA & Co (large supermarket chain with....american goods)
    carrefour
    burger king (came back)
    KFC (didn't know it ever left)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Would we include Market Republic in that list?

don't recall, but ok... just enlighten me as to what market republic is, please?! thanks!

Market Republic was the supermarket at Redhill which sold mostly US products. It had a selection of Chef Boyardee (frozen) food which my OH went through a phase of eating. So, just as well it closed.

This was extracted from an article on internet which will clarify about KFC coming to and departing from HK during 1970s:

In his book ‘KFC in China: Secret Recipe for Success’, Liu says it was firstly the context in which KFC entered the China market, that paved the way for its eventual success.

Case in point: when KFC first entered Hong Kong in 1973, it quickly grew to 11 restaurants in the following year. But it misjudged the local market and failed to develop a suitable business model. By 1975, all 11 restaurants were forced to close their shutters. Ten years later, KFC came back with a vengeance, eventually franchising its operations to a company called Birdland, which was backed by a group of local investors.

Last edited by Renotommy; 17-02-2010 at 05:27 PM.

ah... that explains it. when i arrived in 1995, i was a lowly back-packer, living in chungking mansions, working at a pub...no way i'd ever go to redhill! LOL!

It closed in 2000. Was it really that long ago? *sigh*

USA & Co. must have only still been open for a short while after you arrived.

I was 14-15 in '95. I remember going to USA & Co. to buy candy and clothes.

What Hong Kong needs, are more family owned eateries that are staffed by nationalities that the food/recipe, originated.

Greeks working in a Greek restaurant, waiting and kitchen staff.
    Italians working in an Italian restaurant, and so on..

etc
    etc
    etc

How many Anglo Saxon owned and staffed, Chinese restaurants do you know of, in western countries ?

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Yes, but how many Chinese restaurants do you know in western countries that serve "authentic" Chinese food (i.e. the same stuff you would get here)? I think the answer is very few, outside the core Chinatowns. And they do the tailoring to local tastes pretty well - in general, I (as a Brit) far prefer the "Chinese" food from a Chinese restaurant in the UK to the local food here.

In Hong Kong foreign food is similarly tailored to the local tastes: as with Italian (think Fat Angelo's) or Pizza Hut (Thousand Island topping!). Most businesses have to do that just to survive. We are quite fortunate as expats that there are enough of us to support a pretty good number of more or less authentic restaurants from many countries, in addition to the ones tailored for local taste.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-02-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast