Essential greens

Closed Thread

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Essential greens

Anyone know of some restaurants in HK serving decent vegetarian food of different varieties? Especially Chinese (buddhist-run, organic, etc..) or Thai, or maybe even Vietnamese...etc.. I'm not looking for the Indian restaurants as I've been to most of them and even there the veggie selection is very limited. I don't mind the location as long as the food is memorable! That's what ultimately makes the journey and effort worthwhile .

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

There are so many veg joints here its frightening.

I rarely eat meat myself [just being sensible] but dont see my self as a veggie. Onto the all encompassing link

http://www.ivu.org/hkvegan/gb/hkrest.html

Would you believe that a most popular place to veg out is the Adventist Hospital Canteen. Only in HK

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Thanks, brotha!

I never imagined HK would have THAT many vegetarian joints. And here I thought that most of HK was carnivorous. Good to still see some essential greens around!

Btw, I'm based in Kennedy town myself, so how's about checkin' some of 'em out sometime?

max, i have been here for 2 months and have eaten at probably 10 different veggie restaurants. they are everywhere! my personal favorite is called evergreen vegetarian restaurant in western (really close to you) and they serve incredibly cheap veggie meals for less than $20. try the curry potatoes, spanish potatoes, or the black pepper tofu. they also have the wheat gluten, mock meats, and dim sum that all the other standard veggie joints carry. a nice place i would suggest is in wan chai, you cant miss it. as you are taking the bus down hennessy road, you will see the big "HEALTHY Vegetarian" sign. it is a buddhist restaurant, the food is excellent, and a dinner will cost you from 50-80. other than that, there is a shanghainese veggie restaurant a few blocks down, that is a bit pricey but its good to have this shanghai option. another place in wan chai is called fantasy veg but i have not eaten there yet. try the branto pure indian veg dining club in TST, and i hear that is a free veg lunch somewhere in TST everywhere, hosted by hare krishna people. try this website too: www.foodeasy.com. you can choose the district and the type of food. it is really helpful. another place on hennessy road in causeway is called "greens veggie restaurant" and i must try that sometime. its next to the wellcome grocery store. i found a buddhist veg place in mongkok which graciously gave me free dim sum the other night, so i have to go back there and do them some business sometime.

i find hong kong to be an incredibly meat-centric city. one of my criteria is never to eat in a place that has dead animals hanging in the windows. i smile inside and out when i see a place with fresh veggies hanging. also, as for veg food found in non-veg restaruants, i have come to really enjoy the congee with yau ja gwai..you know the rice porridge with the long fried donut bread..soooo good soaked in the congee! and the red bean and green bean soup is always outstanding. when i eat at these noodle/congee shops, i feel that i am surely doing something unique to china.

ps, max and the other guy from kennedy town, shall we meet up for a veg dinner some? just email [email protected]

peace

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Congratulations Jesse on becoming a local after just a couple of months here-I don't know of anyone who has adjusted to dunking yau chau kwai instead of donuts so rapidly.
    dinner sounds good -will pm you
    GN

As previously mentioend, Bookworm Cafe on Yung Shue Wan, Lamma Island is definitely worth a trip. Check out details at lamma.com.hk

Hi Max,

I have eaten at quite few of the vegetarian restaurants listed at http://www.ivu.org/hkvegan/gb/hkrest.html.

The Healthy Mess Vegetarian restaurant on Hennessey Road in Wan Chai is a very good one. Veggie Court is another quite good one, especially if you want a little Shanghainese touch (its not too bland).

Bon Apetit.