Like Tree1Likes

looking for cheap beers.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I grew up in Hong Kong, so imagine my surprise when I was told that you cannot have your beer beyond the doorstep outside the bar in Melbourne.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    And when you see how drunks act in Melbourne/Australia you can see the reasoning for such laws. There must be a reason, but it can't just be western culture i.e. Thailand.

I didn't write about it as a bad thing. I was just surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by Brace4impact:
    And when you see how drunks act in Melbourne/Australia you can see the reasoning for such laws. There must be a reason, but it can't just be western culture i.e. Thailand.
    And perhaps regulations have to do with that. If people can drink outside the bar, they don't have to get utterly smashed before leaving the bar. For example, earlier bar closing hours often means more fighting due to drunk people as more people leave the bar at the same time even though the desired effect was for people to drink less. Alcohol related regulations are tough to balance.

Thanks for all the advice. Im super stoked about walking down the street with a beer. That is like a dream come true. Sounds like the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dick wagner:
    Thanks for all the advice. Im super stoked about walking down the street with a beer. That is like a dream come true. Sounds like the place to be.
    AA- Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    ROFL

Nothing wrong with drinking sensibly! I had a mint julep before noon yesterday--is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by dick wagner:
    Drinking in public is a dream come true? What are you, 16 years old? Are you sure mommy and daddy will approve?

Nevermind the drinking in public part, at least here one isn't held hostage by govt monopolies stuck in prohibition era laws. I like the fact that I can wander into a 7-11 and pick up a 6 pack at 3am unlike say...Canada or the UK.
    Posted via Mobile Device

You can do that in the UK in Tesco, at 3am. I'm not saying that's a good thing though.

Eh? Since when was it not possible to pick up beer at 3am in a convenience store in the UK? Is that another thing that's changed since I left?