Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArKay
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By emmie

Seating in Lyric Theatre

Closed Thread

Seating in Lyric Theatre

Hi all,
    My friends and I are interested in watching the Chicago musical there and we're trying to figure out which are the good seats.

If we pay for the most expensive tickets, we'll get first row seats in the middle. Are those good? What I mean is if I were in a cinema I wouldn’t want to be in the first row. I believe it varies greatly from one theatre to another so I'm wondering if anyone who has been to the HKAPA Lyric Theatre in Wanchai before can shed some light.

We're also considering the $695 (1st floor, 2nd row) and $495 (2nd floor, 3rd row).

Your personal experience/ opinion on any of the above seats will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much!!

If I were you, I'd go for the 1st floor second row.

It's a personal thing of course - I would never pay more for seats in the stalls (the ground floor) because I think you get a much better overall view of the performance from a higher vantage point, particularly in shows like Chicago (or ballets say) where there are big dance numbers. For me, some of that effect is lost when you're pretty much on a level with the performers in the stallls. First row in the stalls is great for looking at feet!

The Lyric theatre is a pretty good venue actually and you get a good view from all seats (except the few that are explicitly sold as restricted view....can't remember if there are any of those at the Lyric tho...) so even the balcony (2nd floor) would be good...it starts further back than the 1st floor and is higher up obviously but still a good view. particularly if you get seats as central in the line as possible.

A P.S. though - it is all very personal. Someone will come on now and say they love the stalls. And my mom for example refuses to sit anywhere except the circle. Whatever you decide, it's a great show and I think you'll enjoy it regardless!

yanmin likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I am petite and find the front row at the Lyric a bit of a strain, especially if the performance is in another language - I have been unable to read the surtitles. My OH is taller and doesn't mind them - and tends to ignore the surtitles. But as ArKay says, it is personal preference. I would prefer NOT to sit in the front row there.

yanmin likes this.

Thanks ArKay and Claire! Very helpful comments.

I am petite myself, which is why I'm skeptical about the first-row stall seats. I'll go ahead and book the 1st floor Circle seats, and if I still remember this a month later I'll report back! =)

Thanks again both!!

Quote Originally Posted by yanmin:
    I'll go ahead and book the 1st floor Circle seats...
    Many, many years ago, I saw 'Chicago' at the same venue. We sat in the circle, maybe 3 rows from the front. Pretty good seats, I thought at the time, as the musical's elaborate backdrop/set made the most of the stage's height and depth - the razz... & swingin' neon lights et all - angles: striking.

Although you'll get OK to great views from almost any of the more central seating sections, thus the coupla hundred $$$ may not be worth the extra expense, I'd suggest you don't choose 2nd floor balcony ones, especially if they're further back. You'll miss what's going on near top and depth wise.

BTW, enjoy.
    yanmin likes this.

Thanks Emmie for the tip! I just bought my tickets last night - Circle 2nd row right in the middle!!

Looking forward to it!!