HK Bar/Club Scene: Not Satisfactory

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thanks for the advice punk and esque. The reason I have probably expected it to be possible to make such encounters in bars is because I have experienced it personally before.

Now that several people confirmed such places do not exist here, I have no choice but to join one of these "social clubs" or drink lots of pacific coffee...

I will make a list of all such clubs to my liking close to central and go on from there I guess. And who knows... I might be seen at one of your happy hours one day with a big "target" mark on my forehead.

Chrome- While you may have come across a bit brash about stereotyping, you have further confirmed my theory-

It is nearly impossible to be new here and find a "dateable" woman. Bottom line- you can't unless you get lucky. I've been here a while and am just starting to meet great people, but that has mostly to do with networking OUTSIDE of the club/bar scene.

A little hint: If your'e looking for a woman to date (i.e. not a one night stand/fling), you are starting off by looking in all the wrong places.

Chrome - I think your honesty is truly great. Everyone is stereotypical whether they like it or not. Whether they speak of it or admit to the thoughts of it is another story!

Unfortunately, the way your categorised HK is somewhat correct but there are plenty of bars in LK/SOHO/WAN CHAI that are different to what you mentioned. There are clubs, lounges, pubs, and bars that all have different atmospheres.

I think it?s about finding the right people to hang out with rather than the place itself. Joining some clubs or attending social gatherings is always a good start!

xx

[QUOTE=goergeWbush]...
    It is nearly impossible to be new here and find a "dateable" woman. Bottom line- you can't unless you get lucky...[QUOTE]

...and that's why its called "getting lucky"!! But seriously, this isnt a problem specific to only HK, its an age-old, trans-national issue. And as others have said, bars arent necessarily the right places to be looking, but then again, this doesnt mean it would never happen in a bar...

The problem with HK's bar scene is that its a rip off, and unless your minted you tend to move about with the happyhours, so you rarely find a bar that you can frequent, and if you do, there are few regulars... That said, a place is what you make it and whilst the cliches are out, its not where you are, but who your with, or perhaps in this case, who you are...

p.s. im off to 'that other site' now to continue reading this kind of thread <whistles>

PCC was a good idea. Starbucks in Lan Kwai looks like it'd be a good place too. I need to mosey on over there myself...

Hey Chrome!!

There is a special woman waiting for you somewhere, and you will definitely come across her - sooner or later!!

Patience is what is required!! I know that it is easy for one to say that especially if the one saying it already has someone special in their lives to talk to, share ones thoughts and feelings, chill out with, spend a few relaxing moments with.....

It is difficult to be alone and patient for the right person to come along....

But you will definitely not find the kind of person that you are looking for, in a bar/club not in Hong Kong or anywhere else in the world...

BUT, you will meet some extra ordinary ladies at the get togethers that we have .....

Women who are working, who have traditional values, who can sing beautifully, laugh wholeheartedly at "naughty" jokes yet have an aura of innocence that tells you without doubt that morals and conducting oneself with dignity are still something to be proud of!! Not all are single, not all are looking to find someone - permanent or otherwise, BUT all know and believe in Friendships - good clean friendships!!! Where there is enough respect between people.

You MAY or MAY NOT find Mr. or Miss Right, right here.

But most importantly, I now know that almost all of the ladies are very mature in the way they think and carry themselves... no one will judge you on what you have written or said, they take you at your face value and how you treat them....You will find many of us at the disco and at the bars but it is always in large groups and with FRIENDS!!

So maybe, what you should be doing is getting yourself involved with everyone on Geoexpat as a friend FIRST, be it a friendship with either a man or a woman!! You will find the kind of ladies you are talking about mostly at a social gathering of either eating out together or being involved in sports/sight seeing!!! So stop - just writing and make sure that you are a part of all our get togethers, and maybe one of your good lady friends might eventually lead you to your Miss Right to be!!

Warm regards,

Rubina.

I think it is quite wrong to declare:
    "But you will definitely not find the kind of person that you are looking for, in a bar/club not in Hong Kong or anywhere else in the world..."
    There are millions of couples in the world that met in a disco or bar or pub first and then know each other better and married, had children and are now living a nice family life. There are no rules. Just try and see what happens. Everybody of us has good sense to discern what's good and wrong, at least for his/her own life.
    My suggestion is to go out anyway, even in places that LOOK bad and maybe you'll find your rose in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybo:
    I think it is quite wrong to declare:
    "But you will definitely not find the kind of person that you are looking for, in a bar/club not in Hong Kong or anywhere else in the world..."
    There are millions of couples in the world that met in a disco or bar or pub first and then know each other better and married, had children and are now living a nice family life. There are no rules. Just try and see what happens. Everybody of us has good sense to discern what's good and wrong, at least for his/her own life.
    My suggestion is to go out anyway, even in places that LOOK bad and maybe you'll find your rose in the desert.
    Okay!! You have a point there....

Chrome......request KnowItAll to close this particular thread and just become a part of the buddies you know you have here, all the rest will automatically fall into place....

Best regards,

Rubina...

my wife and i are an example of people who met in clubs and found lasting relationships!

but neither of us were 'looking' as such at the time [8 years ago!], but we met and found we had similar interests and friends, and slowly over time grew closer and closer..

one thing i learned, is that you will attract partners, or people generally actually, who reflect where you are in life. the inner world is reflected in the outer.

the thinking goes: there may be a 'perfect' person out there for me. but if we meet, am i being the best that i can be so that i am the 'perfect' person for her/him? if not, would that person want to be with me? would i want to be with her/him if she/he is not being her best [best meaning here doing all you can to fulfil your potential, not some impossible ideal]..

so, by consciously improving myself, i attract others who are doing the same, so even if there are problems, there is a willingness to work through them.. helps to avoid getting into draining dependent relationships..

ahh i'm getting off topic here.. haha.. anyway, simply put:
    it rarely happens while you're looking for it, and you will attract people who reflect your mentality.. so if you're being overly needy, you will attract others who are also overly needy..

not saying all this is sage advice or anything, just my perspective and experience..

[btw we were in HK recently [over CNY] for our honeymoon!]

Last edited by tangent23; 08-03-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Hey Chrome! You know what? You are totally right!!! I am very sorry I am not able to give any suggestions as to the bars one can go to in order to genuinely enjoy the atmosphere, the music and a mix of people who are genuinely enjoying them selves and looking at having a good time. I have been living in Singapore for 9 years and arrived in HK 9 months ago and also like you incredibly disappointed by the lack of choice.... You have been open and you are getting flack for it. Well not from me! If you were in Singapore I could have suggested 8 different 'pockets' of bars/discussion places very different from each other to enjoy but can't help here.... I was interested in reading the comments you were getting back because I too want to know where to go in HK???? and none so far can reply to that.... all i can suggest, seriously is perhaps to join several sports/hiking activities as there are a lot of genuine and fun people to spend a great day out!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast