Like Tree10Likes

Brilliant New Power Plug

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

uk plugs, reliable, study but very bulky, do you think we will see the certain percent of plugs to replaced by usb as apower point, you now can get sockets with both usb and uk plugs combined in to one unit, plus many portable low current items are starting to be supplied with only usb as power supply, while making traditional power sockets as optional extras.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. No:
    Why on earth does this reduce the need for copper??? I am not saying I disagree with you, I am just trying to learn something...
    Figure the amount of copper needed to wire each socket to a fuse board in lots of new houses, new office buildings and new factories. Compare that with the amount of copper needed for fuses.

Well I didn't know there were so many different types of plugs!

AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry, changing the subject, do you think that wireless power supplies will be common within 10 years, to think about it, quite scary, imagine trying to turn off a faulty tv, but you find out you can turn it off due to wireless power, or your radio turns on by it self in the night.

eCoupled Wireless Power to Debut at CES

I prefer this comparison:

Plug versus Plug

It is Friday after all.

lkl, MovingIn07 and blueagles like this.

Finally! And you needed a Chinese to come up with that.
    Well it's quite clearly a Korean name, and a quick search confirms he is indeed Korean.

I can't believe the stupid UK plugs. It really seems middle age technology. But then, isn't the UK living in the middle ages, when it was an empire?
    Compared to what? It's the most solid of all the plugs out there, doesn't easily get knocked out of sockets like those stupid 2 pinned things and are earthed. I'd say those 2 pinned plugs are dark age plugs and in fact the UK ones have changed over the years from round pin to square pin. At least I know my mobile will charge in one go, my TV will always turn on - not like my time in US when the plugs kept slipping out of the sockets - same in China.
    Skyhook likes this.

I like the UK plug for all the reasons Jay Kay mentioned, plus having fuse protection, makes it possibly one of the safest plugs on the market.

At least it is not built like how the Brits used to build cars, by using 16 bolts/screws to fix components down with, while the Japanese and Europeans managed to use 1/4 as many, which makes a big difference to ownership and the cost of servicing..ie time. Imagine an electrical plug with 16 tiny screws you'd have to undo, just to get a blown fuse out of... Lucky they didn't apply the same ill-logic, getting the job done, with just one...lol

They ( The Brits ) got their electrical plug, right, they're much better than the Aussie/US/Euro/China ones, which are annoying and tend to stick out further from the wall, as the cable sticks proud of the centre of the plug, not from the side, like the British variety.

Last edited by Skyhook; 25-06-2010 at 05:04 PM.
    jaykay and MovingIn07 like this.

I understand HK switched from round pins to the square pins for safety reasons, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    At least it is not built like how the Brits used to build cars
    Or as Clarkson puts it "logs laid by British Leyland"
    Skyhook likes this.

I like UK plugs too. I don't mind the Aus/NZ ones - at least they are solid and the sockets come with switches; but the two pronged variety (either flat or round pins) are AWFUL. My mac spends half it's life dangling off the wall when I'm in Manila using the US-style plug in it; in europe much the same. Yuck. And I like the fuses. Why don't other nations have fuses in their plugs anyway?

But anyway - we stray from the point - that folding plug is cool I want one!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 25-06-2010 at 10:14 PM.