Like Tree10Likes

Brilliant New Power Plug

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Finally! And you needed a Chinese to come up with that.

I can't believe the stupid UK plugs. It really seems middle age technology. But then, isn't the UK living in the middle ages, when it was an empire?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. No:
    I can't believe the stupid UK plugs. It really seems middle age technology. But then, isn't the UK living in the middle ages, when it was an empire?
    Do you know why UK plugs are as they are? I'll give you a clue; electricity wasn't used in the middle ages.

I quite like UK plugs... they are solid and unlikely to come loose in sockets and cause an electrical risk. Waaay better than those stupid 2 pronged affairs you get in Europe or the US. The US ones are especially dodgy as they come loose so easily.

The UK plugs are admittedly bulky though. The Oz ones are the best compromise between solidity and size.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Do you know why UK plugs are as they are?
    Because that's the best they could come up with when electricity was first invented, and following the English maxim "we have always done like this, so why should we change now?" there is no way they will ever enter the 21st century (let alone 20th century)?
    I'll give you a clue; electricity wasn't used in the middle ages.
    No shit, Sherlock?
    Last edited by Mr. No; 25-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I saw this folding plug design a while ago and really hope it catches on. I hate the plugs here. I hate that my TV shelf in the living room at home has to be 20cm away from the wall so I can fit all these bulgy plugs and adaptors behind it.

Mr. No likes this.

Now all they've got to do is shrink the power supply unit...

I've never had a problem with UK plugs. They're sturdy, reliable and safe. Can't count the number of times flimsy two-pins have got bent out of shape, refused to go into their sockets or resulted in tripped circuits.

Shrinking the plug like this gets my vote of approval for sheer innovation, and I hope to see them in shops before too long, however since I don't use Apple products, most of my 'phones and laptop computers actually have quite decent battery life and I haven't been inconvenienced by the size of the existing plug at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. No:
    Finally! And you needed a Chinese to come up with that.
    She's definitely Korean though!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

UK plugs are as they are because a) shortage of copper after the war and b) large-scale rebuilding after the war. It was decided to put the fuse in the plug to save the need for copper. It was an invention borne out of necessity.

Big as they are, they are sturdier than those 2-bendy-pin plugs.

bookblogger and Skyhook like this.

UK plugs are as they are because a) shortage of copper after the war and b) large-scale rebuilding after the war. It was decided to put the fuse in the plug to save the need for copper. It was an invention borne out of necessity.
    Why on earth does this reduce the need for copper??? I am not saying I disagree with you, I am just trying to learn something...
    Big as they are, they are sturdier than those 2-bendy-pin plugs.
    I never ever had a problem with the 2 pin plugs, and I never heard (before this thread) that anybody had a problem.

Totally pwned

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast