Like Tree8Likes

Thanks for all those who supported me!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    End of the day it is just a forum (sorry to say Shri) and ppl shouldn't focus much on what is written on here (I mean in relation to "heated" debates, not in relation to useful information provided on the site).

What I disagree with however is foul language/blanket statement and for this I must say HKF, you are not too good at expressing yourself without first insulting the others, maybe the reason why PDLM started (apparently) this poll.

Civilized debate is the way forward, insulting or ridiculising ppl isn't
    I don't totally agree that this is just a forum. Certainly, it is just that for most of us however from a different perspective, it is also a business venture and as such I see the importance in preserving a certain integrity because it reflects on the owners of the site. A classy restaurant might request a jacket and a tie for you to walk in therefore it's not unreasonable to expect a certain standard of behavior from posters coming here and if it's not the case then they should be removed...

End of the day it is just a forum (sorry to say Shri) and ppl shouldn't focus much on what is written on here (I mean in relation to "heated" debates, not in relation to useful information provided on the site).

What I disagree with however is foul language/blanket statement and for this I must say HKF, you are not too good at expressing yourself without first insulting the others, maybe the reason why PDLM started (apparently) this poll.

But he is offering free drinks so WTF.. he can call us all the names he can think of.

Just kidding.

Agree with Mat. When people have to call people names or use BS means to discredit others it is not something that should be tolerated. Make good arguments, fine... the names are silly.

I find myself agreeing more and more with DeletedUser - i really hope its because he is changing and not me ;-) eeek!

He was pretty classy about the while ordeal even when taking unnecessary and uncalled for flak from other posters in realtion to HKF.

HKF welcome back. May this teach us all to treat each other a little more courteously.

Last edited by luckycat; 03-05-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    Satay Sue likes this.

I was wondering whether the use of the word which led to the banning is perhaps more derogatory in the US than the UK, although that depends on the sense in which it was used.

I always think there is some openness to a second chance (unless you murdered someone and then you shouldn't we shouldn't be so lenient)

Anyway, welcome back but don't do it again!

So where are the drinks?

Thanks PDLM! I will be back in HK 5/22 - 5/28, currently still stuck in the Capital of Dustville aka Beijing. We should have a get together, drinks on me.

You mean like every post/topic complaining about locals/mainlanders/expats/helpers/people of all countries?

Banning i would say is okay if the person has been warned numerous times, this is not a free forum so people should act with some respect and manners or risk being banned.

I, just like HongKongFoot, used to be a highly abusive poster. Then I realised that this was something I did when I knew I was wrong, and the other guy/gal made a point effectively against my argument(s), and when people misunderstood my posts (without considering that something may have been amiss in the way I originally expressed my views) or heck even if someone disagreed with me.

I also react a lot less to being called names these days.

Having said that, I am sure there is a policy in place whereby a member may be banned after being issued a bunch of warnings, and I would fully support that. I am not sure a poll would be the most effective way to get someone banned, because at the end of the day Shri owns this site and he gets to decide on banning members, regardless of how unpopular his decision may be.

Reporting a post may prompt the admins to fire off a warning to the poster, and I have, in the past, reported a post or two of HongKongFoot's to them for being unduly abusive simply because someone disagreed with him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

What happened?

(Or must we not speak of such things?)

Geo admin decided to put their foot down as someone had overstepped the mark.

PDLM came forward as the sole upholder of justice, kicked up a fuss and cobbled together some support.

Geo admin realized they could be on a slippery slope and thought it better to tread lightly this time. They healed the wounds and now everyone’s back on equal footing at last.

However, members are reminded to toe the line and watch their step in future.

To sum up, don't put your foot in it - put a sock in it!