Like Tree46Likes

WAAAAH I want to vote

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Fair warning to those with delicate sensibilities, reading this article will only inflame you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

BBC News - Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world

A study by the Free University of Amsterdam found that one-in-six clergy in the PKN and six other smaller denominations was either agnostic or atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    Fair warning to those with delicate sensibilities, reading this article will only inflame you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

BBC News - Dutch rethink Christianity for a doubtful world
    That's a really inspiring story actually. Thanks. Probably the closest one might get to reconciling believers with non-believers.

Yes but I know more than a handful of Christians that would have apoplectic fits at the things these clergy are saying.

I was quite impressed by it too. All you need to do is expand the "case studies" out to include a broad range of "good people" from history (for the sake of example, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and so on, but not anyone who espoused violence) and I think you would have a "world religion" which very many people would be comfortable with.

luckycat likes this.

aha I thought that thread was about the band so never opened it Didn't even notice it was a poll.

I'm curious to see who voted what now.

One glaring omission among the options in that poll.

"None of this matters after several beers."

Are there some, dare I say, thinking conservative Christians?

Evangelicals Question The Existence Of Adam And Eve : NPR

Alas, the smarter ones seem to be forced out for having...thoughts.

Harlow should know: Calvin College investigated him after he wrote an article questioning the historical Adam. His colleague and fellow theologian, John Schneider, wrote a similar article and was pressured to resign after 25 years at the college.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I was quite impressed by it too. All you need to do is expand the "case studies" out to include a broad range of "good people" from history (for the sake of example, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and so on, but not anyone who espoused violence) and I think you would have a "world religion" which very many people would be comfortable with.
    My other half and I both come from raging atheist families. For some time, I have wondered whether it would be beneficial to send our kids (imaginary as they currently are) to some form of Sunday school. This is not to be taught that god created the world in seven days, but to be taught (independently from us) all the vital aspects of being a "good person" like sharing, honesty, hard work, respect etc etc - universal in all religions. I think a "world religion" would be perfect.

Are those qualities you and your other half are incapable of teaching them, that you feel the need to abdicate the responsibility and put it onto others? Who no doubt will also add their own agenda while instilling values in your progeny.

No, Jay. You misunderstand. I assume your response was designed to irritate. It worked.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast