Like Tree28Likes

Most crowded MTR stations during rush hour?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jdongg:
    Thanks guys. Also, I'm very interested in doing a time lapse of the station platform during rush hour for maybe 5-10 minutes. The trains come so frequently that I think it'll be fine. Something like this:

Hong Kong Metro Passenger Rush (43-secs) - YouTube

The guy said he just placed it on top of a pole, but I've never seen anywhere I could place a camera on top of. Any ideas? Also, will the MTR staff get their feathers in a ruffle if they see me doing this?
    Obviously, if they don't see you, they will leave you alone. Same if they see you but don't notice you doing anything unusual.

I thought that photography was theoretically forbidden in HK MTR stations and trains but I just Googled the MTR bylaws and skimmed them and didn't see anything: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/legal/images/mtr_by_law.pdf

Update: Just looked again and found it under 28H(e) that forbids filming without MTR Corp. approval.

If you really want to try, I think that you'll have to avoid not only MTR staff but also the gaze of the in-station CCTV cameras. The hawkers who infest the stations do this by setting up inside alcoves, but that probably won't help you since you're trying to capture a mass crowd of people rushing between trains.
    Last edited by dear giant; 24-10-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: found prohibition of filming in bylaws

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You should also try the Tokyo subways, they are pretty bad too during rush hours. In fact, some of the MTR's design is influenced by Tokyo. Notice those "pushers" hired by the MTR during rush hour? They are design to squeeze people into the trains or block others from entering an already overcrowded train. They were copied from Tokyo. Still, MTR does have less of those pervert gropers that haunt Tokyo's metro (but they do exist in HK as well, so beware).
    I have tried the Tokyo subways, at least they are quiet, orderly and they do wash.
    dear giant likes this.

Lowu border crossing at start of long weekends. Good Luck.

and coming back at the end of long weekends. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I have tried the Tokyo subways, at least they are quiet, orderly and they do wash.
    You think MTR's rush hour is bad? Try the mainland rush hour subways...you will get a new definition of "bad experience" on subways...
    dear giant and Dreadnought like this.

I've done timelapse in the MTR before. If you only need 5-10 mins you should be fine. Just set up and shoot, by the time security gather round, have a conversation, walkie-talkie to the office for advice about what to do etc you'll be done. If you are approached by MTR staff just act innocent, have a conversation (obviously leave the camera running), apologise, and move on when the time comes.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    I've done timelapse in the MTR before. If you only need 5-10 mins you should be fine. Just set up and shoot, by the time security gather round, have a conversation, walkie-talkie to the office for advice about what to do etc you'll be done. If you are approached by MTR staff just act innocent, have a conversation (obviously leave the camera running), apologise, and move on when the time comes.
    Were you on the train platform and where did you set up? I wouldn't mind doing it in a huge station like Central/HK since I'm sure I can find a nice vantage point up high, but the actual station terminal seems pretty static to me. I want to get on the actual platform maybe a few minutes before rush hour so I can capture a dynamic range
    dear giant likes this.

You think MTR's rush hour is bad? Try the mainland rush hour subways...you will get a new definition of "bad experience" on subways...
    I rode the Shanghai metro during rush hour and that was horrid. Even during off peak hours, the people are just really rude. In HK I try my best not to bump into people even though it's usually not possible. In Shanghai though, I have no problem smashing into anyone and everyone on the platform as I'm getting off, since they don't understand the concept of not rushing the train before people get off
    dear giant and East_coast like this.

Obviously my daily commute in HK isnt as "bad" as China, India, South Africa, Brazil or or other developing countries like Paris but it's bad enough in relative terms.
    dear giant and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdongg:
    Thanks guys. Also, I'm very interested in doing a time lapse of the station platform during rush hour for maybe 5-10 minutes. The trains come so frequently that I think it'll be fine. Something like this:

Hong Kong Metro Passenger Rush (43-secs) - YouTube

The guy said he just placed it on top of a pole, but I've never seen anywhere I could place a camera on top of. Any ideas? Also, will the MTR staff get their feathers in a ruffle if they see me doing this?
    How about half-way up the stairs? (not the escalator obviously!)
    dear giant likes this.