Like Tree28Likes

Most crowded MTR stations during rush hour?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Most crowded MTR stations during rush hour?

This sounds lame, but I'm here on study abroad and one day I just kind of want to document the MTR rush hour in Hong Kong.

I've been at the Island Line and Tsuen Wan line interchange at Admiralty and had to wait about 10 trains before I could get on, but where else is there generally clusterf*** amounts of people?

Tsim Sha Tsui, Mongkok, Kowloon Tong to name a few.

Pretty much anywhere with an interchange.

dear giant, Watercooler and Boris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdongg:
    This sounds lame, but I'm here on study abroad and one day I just kind of want to document the MTR rush hour in Hong Kong.

I've been at the Island Line and Tsuen Wan line interchange at Admiralty and had to wait about 10 trains before I could get on, but where else is there generally clusterf*** amounts of people?
    This is probably the worst mtr/mtr interchange.

Mong Kok MTR always feels very busy around the Bank Street exits for MTR to pedestrian interchange.

Hong Hum probably has the worst MTR / Bus interchange - get there around 8:40AM to see the queues heading to the island

MTR stations are mild: if you want crowds, try getting on a tram during peak hours!

Quote Originally Posted by jdongg:

if you can't get in Tsuen Wan line at admirity, then go to central mtr, get in their first time round for trains heading tsuen wan,

busy is by far, between tst and central, 8.30-8.45am.

Thanks guys. Also, I'm very interested in doing a time lapse of the station platform during rush hour for maybe 5-10 minutes. The trains come so frequently that I think it'll be fine. Something like this:

Hong Kong Metro Passenger Rush (43-secs) - YouTube

The guy said he just placed it on top of a pole, but I've never seen anywhere I could place a camera on top of. Any ideas? Also, will the MTR staff get their feathers in a ruffle if they see me doing this?

Does anyone get panic attacks when they goto busy MTR, I was able to survive London tubes with no problems but the sheer number of people in HK MTR.....

dear giant and luckycat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Does anyone get panic attacks when they goto busy MTR, I was able to survive London tubes with no problems but the sheer number of people in HK MTR.....
    You should also try the Tokyo subways, they are pretty bad too during rush hours. In fact, some of the MTR's design is influenced by Tokyo. Notice those "pushers" hired by the MTR during rush hour? They are design to squeeze people into the trains or block others from entering an already overcrowded train. They were copied from Tokyo. Still, MTR does have less of those pervert gropers that haunt Tokyo's metro (but they do exist in HK as well, so beware).
    Last edited by Watercooler; 24-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.

It's not the MTR ride itself that gets to me (usually) but having to charge through the clumps of people who ignore the arrows on the floor of the platform outside the doors and plant themselves squarely in the path of people trying to exit the train.

Almost as bad are narrow stretches of sidewalk -- because of all of the people (walking two- and three-abreast and oblivious to people trying to walk in the opposite direction) one has to bump.

WMDS and bookblogger like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast