slow news day?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i only has this

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/eng...0828&56&427503

Thanks! Off to the roof to see if I can see the eclipse you posted about. Kinda hard with all the buildings around us here in the Mid-Levels, but I guess it's worth a shot.

ya cant see any moon though

Yeah I just realized that. I would have had a better chance of seeing it from our old place on Braemar Hill. Ah well.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    ya cant see any moon though
    the great wall of china is the only man made object from which you can see space.

Quote Originally Posted by taihunggao:
    the great wall of china is the only man made object from which you can see space.
    Don't want to disappoint you, but that's a myth!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3505040.stm

http://www.snopes.com/science/greatwall.asp

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    i love that the original myth came from a book written in 1938 (says snopes anyway). Well, if pre-space-age people imagined it was so marvellous it was the only thing visible from space, that's poetic enough for me for it to be true!

by the way if you actually read my post, you'd see i was indeed talking complete nonsense. interesting tho, so common is the myth, if you put "great wall of china" and "space" in the same sentence people just go "blah blah" over the other words :-)

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Aircraft over Central, and Moons over Wanchai

Frenchman fined for baring buttocks

Baring one's buttocks might be acceptable behaviour in France, but it was definitely not acceptable in Hong Kong, a magistrate said yesterday in sentencing a Frenchman who dropped his trousers while in a taxi.
    Magistrate Bina Chainrai fined Paul Mouette, 26, HK$750 and ordered him to pay HK$1,000 in costs.
    Eastern Court heard Mouette and three friends hailed a taxi early on August 17, and that he kissed the taxi driver after baring his buttocks. But Ms Chainrai found discrepancies in the victim's evidence and amended the charge of indecent assault to one of public indecency, to which the defendant pleaded guilty.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

case finally resolved

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid;171061
    [B:
    Ming Pao Daily

Tycoon’s 60 year-old daughter accused of assaulting three-year-old girl

Ho Chiu-ying, 60, tycoon Stanley Ho’s eldest daughter with his late first wife Clementine Leitao, was prosecuted for general assault on a three-year-old girl at the coffee shop of the Grand Hyatt Hotel. The girl was known to have bumped into Ho first before Ho stepped on her feet. The plaintiff is expected to settle the case out of court with Ho before hearing starts on August 28.

[/B]
    Justice finally

Tycoon's eldest free after buffet assault on boy, 3

Chandra Wong

The eldest daughter of tycoon Stanley Ho was released on a good behaviour bond without a criminal record yesterday for assaulting a three-year-old boy at a buffet in a five-star hotel in Wan Chai in July.

Jane Ho Chiu-ying, 60, appeared in Eastern Court, where she was charged with common assault.

The tycoon's eldest daughter from his late first wife, Clementina Angela Leitao Ho, admitted stepping on the boy's left foot because she was "very upset" after he bumped into her, causing her to fall and drop her food.

Principal magistrate Garry Tallentire granted her the HK$2,500 bond for two years after considering exceptional circumstances. Government psychiatric reports said Ms Ho suffered from schizophrenia which contributed significantly to the assault.

The magistrate said that any assault on a child was a serious offence and expressed his sympathy to the victim's father.

Chief Court Prosecutor Ernest Cheung Yan-ming said after the psychiatric assessment that "it is not in the interests of justice to continue with the prosecution of a person who, in particular, is suffering from a mental disorder". The Department of Justice believed the bond was appropriate despite reservations from the boy's father.

Ms Ho apologised yesterday to the boy and his family through her lawyer, Jonathan Midgley, who asked that the case be dismissed after she was charged on July 26.

The bond, which is not a conviction and does not constitute a criminal record, normally requires the defendant to maintain good behaviour for a specified period with other conditions.

If Ms Ho breaches the conditions, the case will be called before the magistrate for re-sentencing.

On the night of July 8 Ms Ho was dining alone in the Grand Hyatt Hotel's cafe and queued with the boy at the buffet. The boy accidentally bumped into her, causing her to fall to her knees and drop her food.

The boy apologised but Ms Ho suddenly stepped on his left foot, causing him to cry out. "It's because he purposely tripped me so I stepped on him back," Ms Ho told the father.

The boy was uninjured.

Ms Ho has been schizophrenic for over three years, causing a series of problems, and her family has sought daily supervision, the court heard.

and a pic of the 60 year old defendant