Like Tree30Likes

Smoking inside the office next door

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

put a stocking over your head

light a portable BBQ - quickly wheel it into their office and jam the door on them so they cant get out...

call your lawyer if it looks like they recognise you

Thank you for all your suggestions guys! (including the smoke weed/shut door tight, etc!)

Football16, I am going to do what you suggested. I am also going to embarrass these morons. I am going to publish their unit number online, in SCMP, etc, etc.

And I am going to put myself in a Kung Fu class just to be able to fight back! I am a long distance runner and their lungs are full of cigarette smoke, so I can also run away if need be!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    How about suing your landlord if the office is not in the condition necessary for work (because smoke comes thru etc). Has anyone tried that? Seems landlords have all the power and you never know, might be the same landlord for next door office so THEY would have some power.
    You then could sue the minister of transport for the traffic exhaust pollution and relevant authorities for the Delta river pollution that is prelavent in Hong Kong.
    Which is worse- smoking or Hong Kong pollution from buses etc .

Quote Originally Posted by Clockie:
    You then could sue the minister of transport for the traffic exhaust pollution and relevant authorities for the Delta river pollution that is prelavent in Hong Kong.

I think that's missing the main point. Undoubtedly pollution from traffic and factories is bad, but that's another debate completely, a totally seperate issue. This seems to be the defacto answer in Hong Kong when someone complains about smoking - bring up the pollution issue to detract from the matter being discussed.

Which is worse murder or shop lifting? Undoubtedly murder is worse, but that's not a reason to stop preventing shoplifting.

He does not have a contract with the Ministry for Transport.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Why not call their landlord?
    the landlord might be a smoker as well, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    the landlord might be a smoker as well, just a thought.
    But it should be an objective measure. If there is any clause in the lease which says that the tenant shall have peaceful possession, or if it prohibits him from smoking, or anything like this, I would use that clause to say he is not getting what the lease says he should get. At worse, use it to terminate the lease and move somewhere without smokers next door!

I think Min07 has a very good point. It is dubious whether ultimately he would succeed, but he would cause a lot of noise. Plus, publicity for the landlord who, if he defended himself, would impliedly promote smoking in office buildings, would be pretty negative. It's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    I think that's missing the main point. Undoubtedly pollution from traffic and factories is bad, but that's another debate completely, a totally seperate issue. This seems to be the defacto answer in Hong Kong when someone complains about smoking - bring up the pollution issue to detract from the matter being discussed.

Which is worse murder or shop lifting? Undoubtedly murder is worse, but that's not a reason to stop preventing shoplifting.
    Dont you think murder and shoplifting comparisons are another debate completely? Smoking causes health problems - traffic and industrial pollution causes health problems . What is the difference? It would be interesting to know which is the greater evil.

Dont you think murder and shoplifting comparisons are another debate completely? Smoking causes health problems - traffic and industrial pollution causes health problems . What is the difference? It would be interesting to know which is the greater evil.

I wasnt debating any of the issues related to murder or shopliting...merley using them as an example of how you can't ignore one problem just because of another supposedly larger scale one exists. So no, I don't think so.

Lat time I checked there wasn't a bus driving round my office causing pollution, and at the moment the factories aren't dumping toxic waste in our shared toilets either. So that's the greatest pollution issue at my place of work at the moment.

Taking your example above, we shoud just bypass any issues that arent precieved to be the very largest scale probelms. Now that is another debate completely
    dear giant and Gatts like this.