Like Tree30Likes

Smoking inside the office next door

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smoking inside the office next door

We have a couple of stinky, uncivilized morons next door who ALWAYS smoke inside their office premises. The whole corridor stinks.

We have called the police/Tobacco Control Office/management several times and each time officers show up, they claim they "could not find evidence". (The guys inside extinguish their cigarettes before opening the door).

This has been going on for close to 1 year. I want to storm into their office with a couple of US marines and put the fear of God in them but I don't know any US marines!

What can we do to make this stop? Any advice? We feel like the law is useless and the guys next door don't give a crap to anyone else other than themselves.

Thanks!

dear giant and Gatts like this.

I honestly think that anything that you could do would only make it worse.

Moving your own office to nicer premises or waiting for the guys in the other office to go broke and shut down their business (if they're actually running a business and not simply living in there) may be your only realistic options.

Classic problem with the level of (or lack of) enforcement HK has over smoking.

Any chance you can catch the smokers on video / photo?

Or else, I guess you should consider looking for other office space?

Videotape them as evidence? Even if that doesn't work, it might scare them enough to stop (for a while!).
    Don't their offices have smoke detectors ? If not, maybe that is something to get them in trouble over as I would of thought it to be a strict rule for commercial premises.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Talk to the management company. Take to your landlord. Keep on at the TCO.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 28-10-2011 at 04:14 PM.

I have exactly the same problem at my office. Im at a small company but the office next door is fairly large and seems to have zero regard for the smoking regulations. The shared toilets are atrocious at times with smoke almost filling the room.

I have tried every route to stop it...Building Management, Tobacco Control, Government helplines etc.

The guys at Tobacco control basically told me I'm wasting my time and its not worth pursing. Unfortunately people in this city are too often selfish and don't think of others. I really cant belive its 2011 and this is still an issue in my place of work....

TheBrit and dear giant like this.

agree Dear Giant opinions, if we want enjoy one better office surroundings, find another premise is the fastes far away the awful guy.

How about suing your landlord if the office is not in the condition necessary for work (because smoke comes thru etc). Has anyone tried that? Seems landlords have all the power and you never know, might be the same landlord for next door office so THEY would have some power.

why don't you start smoking some weed?

(in case you haven't worked it out, this a JOKE, do not take it seriously)

drumbrake likes this.

While I don't much know HK rules I know in Canada it is a worker safety issue and those authorities must enforce rules like a smoke free work place as they will get claims on this when they get cancer.

Attitudes to smoking here are far more liberal than in North America (o/s Quebec maybe) as there even smokers want the rules enforced as their attitudes have changed a lot since no smoking regulations came in. Here it is the Stone Ages from my North Amer. view point.

So three ideas for you:

1. Why not call Occupational Safety.
    Labour Department - Occupational Safety and Health
    Complain that it is an unsafe workplace. Maybe do some research on their site too to see if it is an issue for them.

2. Complain to the bosses of those checking and doing nothing about lack of performance.

3. Write to SCMP and explain how you've been handled.

dear giant and scumbag like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast