Like Tree4Likes

Cockroaches in the apartment building!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cockroaches in the apartment building!

Since moving to Hong Kong, I consistently see about two cockroaches per week in my apartment. They're not the big ones that can fly, but they sure are quick! They're about the diameter of a one dollar coin. Last night one crawled into the gas burners in the kitchen so I turned on the flame...but it escaped before catching on fire!

Most of the time I see them in the bathroom, but sometimes in the kitchen or bedrooms as well. I have no idea how they're getting in! I keep my house very clean and I never ever keep kitchen garbage overnight. So far I've sprayed my main door with RAID and laid poisonous traps all over the apartment. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do. I'm thinking the next step up is to do a complete lockdown at night time (i.e plug every sink hole and shut every window)

I also live on the 11th floor of a 20 year old building if that makes a difference.

If you go to Japan home stores (or something similar), you can buy two products:

1. Bug bomb - this is basically a DIY fumigator. It is very effective. You activate the fumigator, leave the flat for 2/3 hours and when you come home, all your cockroaches (and other insects, like MASSIVE hairy green spiders (as I have found to my peril)) are exterminated.

2. Roach traps - we have put these down for the year we have lived here. No roach has ever been trapped but the dogs do like the taste of the bait (which I think is peanut butter).

Good luck!

Get some of these fumigators ($60 per) at Park'n shop, put one in every room, and go for a couple of beers in the meantime.

Edit: LC beat me to it.

They normally come from the bathroom area from the plumbing, so close all gaps includind shower drain and spray in bathroom area.

We use Baygon roach bait. You stick in under the sink (or wherever the roaches seem to be coming from) and replace it every 3 months. We've used one since the beginning of summer and no longer sees them.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    If you go to Japan home stores (or something similar), you can buy two products:

1. Bug bomb - this is basically a DIY fumigator. It is very effective. You activate the fumigator, leave the flat for 2/3 hours and when you come home, all your cockroaches (and other insects, like MASSIVE hairy green spiders (as I have found to my peril)) are exterminated.

2. Roach traps - we have put these down for the year we have lived here. No roach has ever been trapped but the dogs do like the taste of the bait (which I think is peanut butter).

Good luck!
    OMG, big green hairy spiders?? That's it, I'm staying in Mid-levels!!!

+1 on the roach traps, we used them in Tokyo as we seemed to always get cockroaches in our bathroom. They worked....

Pretty normal in HK no matter how clean you keep you flat - they usually come from the plumbing.

We use fumigators regularly and spray some raid once in a while.

In 9 years in HK/Macau I have seen this is pretty much everywhere (new building, old building, luxurious or not)

They are getting in somehow, someway, probably as someone mentioned near the plumbing or somewhere like that. When I opened under my sink I saw several significant gaps between the shelving underneath and the 'base' basic floor of the building (for example the area around the water shut off valves).

I ended up buying a couple of cans of "spray foam insulation" down at the hardware stores (it's somewhat common). It is a can with a straw attached and you shake it up and spray this sticky foam that expands to fill in the gaps where the roaches can enter.

Spray Foam Insulation | GREAT STUFFâ„¢ Insulating Foam Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    They are getting in somehow, someway, probably as someone mentioned near the plumbing or somewhere like that. When I opened under my sink I saw several significant gaps between the shelving underneath and the 'base' basic floor of the building (for example the area around the water shut off valves).

I ended up buying a couple of cans of "spray foam insulation" down at the hardware stores (it's somewhat common). It is a can with a straw attached and you shake it up and spray this sticky foam that expands to fill in the gaps where the roaches can enter.

Spray Foam Insulation | GREAT STUFFâ„¢ Insulating Foam Sealant

Let's hope you don't have to access those pipes any time soon......

We had an infestation when we moved into our flat 2 years ago. Fumigation before moving in and keeping clean solved it for good.

Re: getting in

My wife frequently watches little cockroaches trying to walk in through the open kitchen window (she's up at night feeding the baby). For years I thought they' would come in through the drain on the base of the kitchen cabinets, which never sees any water, so once in a while I fill it with a bleach/water mixture. Probably I was just paranoid, and having lived cockroach free after moving into cockroach HQ and one fumigation shows keeping it clean pays off.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast