Like Tree58Likes

The death of mental arithmetic?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    There is one kid who ends every story as follows:

He shoots them with AK47. Head shot! BANG! KO! And they are all die. The End.

(Funny guy... I think he plays too many computer games!)
    My daughter's homework last night was to discuss the effects of watching violence on TV. I think that could have been included!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    On a red minibus I pay $10 for a $8 fare and he gives me the change instantly (I tell you what, he can even do 20-8, or 100-16, the little genius). Imagine if he used a calculator.

IMAGINE how FAST he'd have to drive then!
    Same happens if you shop in markets. The seller adds up in their head as you buy the different things, then gives you the correct change. So, I agree that the use of calculators is annoying for simple transactions, but their use is not universal, with plenty of people doing calculations in their head all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My daughter's homework last night was to discuss the effects of watching violence on TV. I think that could have been included!
    An interesting observation I like is when people cite the amount of violence in the US and blame it on American television, but Canadians watch the same shows and Canada has a fraction of their violent crime rate. Maybe as Robin Williams says "Canadians, you're so f#cking nice...eh."

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_By_Nature:
    A lot of companies insist on using a calculator even for the most simple of calculations just to be sure
    Yes, I think its businesses that are enforcing it, which I think they are perfectly correct in doing so, which I think you will see occuring everywhere in the world everyday. Justjoe has an entertaining and interesting story, but I dont think related to why people around the world use calculators and other machines when processing transactions.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Model HK answer: I don't watch TV. I just do my homework, read interesting English books and wash the dishes. I am very hardworking.
    MovingIn07 and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Justjoe has an entertaining and interesting story, but I dont think related to why people around the world use calculators and other machines when processing transactions.
    But everything I say is always completely and utterly relevant.

Did I mention I have brie and tomato sandwiches today? YUM!
    bdw, hullexile and Satay Sue like this.

Maybe that teller thinks the same way about foreigners who cant think to speak Cantonese to him/her.

Last edited by Loz_2; 11-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    Maybe that teller thinks the same way about foreigners who cant think to speak Cantonese to him/her.
    Last time I looked, maths was a universal subject which did not vary by country. Language does.

one of my very dear subordinate confessed to me once that the only mental calculations she can do is 2+2, apart from that she has to use calculators for every single calculation, including those like 100 X 10.

My dad never let us use calculators, he is great at Maths, sometimes I wonder why I never inherited his skills of mental calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    one of my very dear subordinate confessed to me once that the only mental calculations she can do is 2+2, apart from that she has to use calculators for every single calculation, including those like 100 X 10.
    What does she do if she wants to pay for something with the correct change? Or does she just use octopus card/ credit card/ notes and put all her coins in a jar at home. (OK I just realised - that's what I do.)