Like Tree3Likes

Hong Kong empty at Xmas and New Year?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Yeah, I'm sure there'll be! I was just thrown a bit at a school event at the weekend when it seemed that everyone I spoke to said they'd be away. Then another local friend said it's so "nice and quiet at Christmas in Hong Kong" - not what I was expecting at all!
    I see what you mean. Could be "interesting". It'll be my first Christmas here and my Dad's coming to visit (his first time) and I've been trying to prepare him that it can get very crowded (he lives in semi-rural Lancashire). Guess I'm going to look a bit of a muppet
    Satay Sue likes this.

I am afraid HK is never empty. The only time when HK was semi empty was during SARS.

shri likes this.

LOL, at least you can get EVERYTHING you "need" for Christmas! After 14 years in Tokyo (where you could get a lot of things (like £250 real trees - not that I ever did) but not everything, we used to go somewhere exotic in S E Asia!) and Singapore last year it'll be a very festive Xmas anyway!

Last edited by Satay Sue; 28-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.

it's only the expats that go away for an extended period of time. a few locals will go away, but it's usually only for a couple of days.

don't worry, it'll still be incredibly busy....it just depends on where you frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    We don't have an only child by choice...
    Sorry!

The only time HK really quietens down is Chinese New Year.

@ Carang I THRIVE on busy so that's good news!

Last edited by Satay Sue; 28-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:

The only time HK really quietens down is Chinese New Year.
    Yes, that's what I thought, that it would be really quiet then but still bustling in December...

Planning to go Malaysia to visit my friends on this Christmas and New year time. :-)

>> Guess I'm going to look a bit of a muppet

No. The 3-400K people leaving on holidays / trips back home will be replaced by 2 million mainland tourists.

SS, as carang said, the emptiness is in the eye of the expats.
    For those of us with kids in localized schools and with local friends doing mostly local things, the place is full as always.

If your little one looks like he might get bored, look into some of the activities at YMCA - I flicked thru the brochure the other day and lots of nice activities in there for various ages. Here is the online version: YMCA CAMPING

Satay Sue likes this.