Like Tree91Likes

Tony Chan - poster child for all that is wrong with HK

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Opinions vary

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Chinese learned it from the best. Brits and Yanks.

Slavery, multiple wars, invasions, environmental disasters all for conspicuous consumption. Are'nt you forgetting who invented this form of art?
    Maybe it's the other way around and the Chinese learned nothing from the Brits and Yanks? Slavery, war, and all other delights of human kind were omnipresent in what is modern day China by about the Shang Dynasty well over 3000 years ago.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Maybe it's the other way around and the Chinese learned nothing from the Brits and Yanks? Slavery, war, and all other delights of human kind were omnipresent in what is modern day China by about the Shang Dynasty well over 3000 years ago.
    Nice one. You reminded me of the quote from My big, fat, Greek Wedding. "Your people were still swinging in trees, when mine were writing philosophy."
    dear giant and Char Siu King like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    as some people seem to become at the slightest whiff of disapproval of HK/Chinese culture.
    it's not the slightest swift, it's the ever recurring subject on those boards....if it was brought up once in a while, fine...it's several times a day and by the same ppl most of the time.

Boring,
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    it's not the slightest swift, it's the ever recurring subject on those boards....if it was brought up once in a while, fine...it's several times a day and by the same ppl most of the time.

Boring,
    If you find this thread boring, you're free to start more interesting threads or to contribute to existing threads that interest you rather than trying to stifle threads that you don't like. Why the desire to control everyone else's discussions?

I have no desire to control, I express my opinion and so do you......I did not ask anyone to close the thread...

Give a rest DG and as I have said it once before, I am out of this one....

I let you debate this wonderful subject.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Moving, RevJay, and Fiona seem to have burst Swannie's balloon. He appears to have assumed that you would all be as thin-skinned and reflexively defensive when faced with criticism of Westerners as some people seem to become at the slightest whiff of disapproval of HK/Chinese culture.
    I have no expectations that some people would be upset. When you're set in your ways and wear blinders, there's really nothing one can do but to shrug shoulders and move on...

However, it is interesting that a similarly phrased post coming from an idiot was ridiculed and another is deemed quite rational and fair. Personally, I see these kinds of posts as two side of the same coin. Attention seeking children in adult's bodies...

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/84/thread217170.html

All you people clearly have too much time on your hands when you all get so worked up over Tony Chan and whether he represents HK values. The average Hker will greet the news of Tony getting the shaft with a "serves-him-right" expression and then get on with life. (i.e. making money, the same thing that the Americans, Brits. Canadians and Australians do, albeit not necessarily in the same way).

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    ..."serves-him-right"...
    Well, he did get caught.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6