• 11 Post By hullexile
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 3 Post By MovingIn07
  • 2 Post By Football16
  • 1 Post By ReverendJay

Embarrasing moments in front of experts

Closed Thread

Embarrasing moments in front of experts

You know like when you call the NOW TV man in only to find the fault is down to your 3 year old changing the batteries round....

Anyway my latest one....

Usually take my nighttime meds as I go to bed then have a great sleep. This time I was in the house on my own and having taking the meds changed my mind and thought I would watch the footy on TV. Stepped outside for a quick cig (yes still haven't given up completely) when bang, I fall asleep. Neighbours come rushing, call my wife, who turns up in minutes with friends. Carry me into the car, drive me to the Emergency Room at the hospitial. Doctor takes a look and says "Mrs, your husband is not dying he is just asleep. With the meds he is on you won't wake him up till the morning so take him home and dump him in bed".

Anyone else want to admit to looking like a total plonker in front of experts?

By definition, isn't anything men do in front of their wives considered an embarrassment by her expert-ness?

bryant.english likes this.

nice one! That gave me a chuckle for the afternoon.

I have plenty of MrMoving's stories (obviously, none of my own) but they would pale in comparison with yours ....

Fiona in HKG likes this.

In Singapore, while playing in an alleyway with grassy area near some restaurants Mini reported being bitten by a "very large mouse" cue trying-not-to-be-hysterical parents cancelling dessert and whisking him by taxi to nearest A&E. To be informed by an amused, tired doctor that it looked nothing like a rat bite and he'd most probably fallen on a piece of glass....

I called Towngas as my water heater wouldn't consistently start when I turned the switch. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. They had a notice on my bill to call them about my gas cooker hose (but it was new so I ignored it).

A friend came by before I called Towngas and I asked him to look at the heater. He pointed up inside to a plastic case and said that was the problem. As he didn't know how to say "battery" in English that's when I called the gas folks. The guy comes and checks the stove hose - fine - it's new. Goes to the bathroom and oops puts in his battery and it works just fine.

But then the Towngas guy sees the unit has some rust in it and calls the management company and embarrassment goes away as I now have a brand new unit where I can see the exact temperature!!!! All due to the fact a Chinese friend can't say battery!

i got one that is much more, slap yourself in the forehead than yours hull....

new-to-us van, had it about a month when i go out one day and it doesn't start... doesn't even turn over...so, i get out my booster cables, ask a neighbour to pull up towards the van, connect cables... NOTHING.

i know i put gas in, so can possibly be out of gas.... starting to get angry at being taken advantage of... we'd only owned the damned machine for a month...

call the tow truck.

he comes and asks me to try... then he says... "ummmm, miss, could you take it out of gear and then try."

duh! for some unknown reason, i hadn't put it into park when i pulled into my parking space. all i had to do to get the thing started was put it back into PARK!

man, did i feel like a total idiot! especially when i'd spent half a day waiting around for the tow truck and giving off about the damned machine!

OOOH now you reminded me of this one.

Flew into Calgary a few years back from Australia - came via HK, 24 hours traveling all up ... picked up an RV from the airport.

Drove it to a nearby camp-site and set up. Got out the power cable ... didn't fit. Went to the campsite office - paid for an adapter, put it on, fitted. Yeah.

Went to bed.

Got up in the morning ... unplugging everything ... realized the reason it wouldn't fit was because it ALREADY had an adapter on the end of the plug (all we had to do was take off the existing adapter).

DUH. The joys of jet-lag.

carang, audiot and bryant.english like this.

Carang's reminds me of my friend's young, beautiful wife who was nervous of driving but had to get a license when she was in her late 20s and hadn't drove before. Now their work places were inconvenient for him to pick her up as it cut into beer time with the guys so he got her a brand new car and now the nervous lady had a to get a licence.

To be sure she didn't fail he followed a few driving tests one day on his day off and knew the exact route. Then each night he would drive down to the licence office and park the guy in the spot they always started from. He'd then let her get behind the wheel while parked at the curb. She'd check the mirror, look over her shoulder and safely pull out into traffic and he'd instruct her through the route. Can't not pass!!!

Test day, he drives down just like at night. Parks for the test in their designated spots and they go into to take the test.

She gets in the car with the inspector. He has to wait in the office. She puts into gear (standard), checks the mirror, shoulder checks, releases the hand brake, gently steps on the gas and turns the wheel to enter the traffic - but she is not moving. Driving Instructor: "You can turn on the engine now." Lady: "Oh, I've never started the car before." FAILED.

Last edited by Football16; 29-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    MovingIn07 and carang like this.

During my driving test, I was waiting behind a bus at a red light. I was quite happy for the rest, to settle my nerves. We were waiting for quite a long time and I thought nothing of it. The examiner eventually pointed out that the bus was actually a school bus waiting for the children to come out of school and I would have to go around it! I felt like a complete wally and thought I might fail my test. Luckily for me, he passed me!