Like Tree77Likes

Angry "gwai lo"

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    A newbie to the building who doesn't know that the other elevator goes to the even floors?

Someone from Australia who assumed that they would not be able to get into the other floors from the staircase (been stuck in a staircase in Aus thinking I could walk down one floor ... nope ... had to go the whole way!). Mind you, I would have checked first!

Someone who assumed that since his elevator was "broken" that they all were?
    In short, a moron.

seriously Moving, you may want to help the Gwai Lo but here anyone with half a brain would have check if there were other options before going down 17 floors by the stairs....just sayin'...
    jimbo likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Locals&Mainlanders would never use the words "wrong side of bed?"
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 27-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Indeed the anglo Saxons are so much better behaved...thanks piggy for bringing in the nationality issue while it was so far only an expat issue

I love this website
    Nothing to do with the Anglos but at least if they'd do us the courtesy and yell in English, we would know what the frack they're complaining about. Better yet, impress us and swear in Canto

Original Post Deleted
    No I've never seen anyone respond like that to that question.

Agree with TheB's point - in some cultures complaints are made loud and clear and highly expressive, while other cultures suck it up and stoicly go about their business. Generally the Asian culture is not to loudly complain and draw attention to oneself (especialy in front of a bunch of strangers waiting for a lift that you will run into at some point), but approach it quietly so as to allow others to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Locals&Mainlanders would never use the words "wrong side of bed?"
    The locals have a valid excuse.... the bedrooms are so small that the bed is already wedged in against three walls, so there can only be one side.....

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    On Sunday morning in M&S a British guy in his 60s with a backpack bought some groceries. As usual the cashier asked if he needed a bag. "what the hell do you think this" he barked back, pulling his backpack off, making her and everyone around jump. Woman in front of me (also British) remarked loudly "wrong side of bed?" but no response of course.
    That Brit must be suffering from the classic "gwailo superiority complex". I've seen it from time to time in HK. The symptoms include arrogant disdain towards the locals, inability to speak in a civilized manner, suffers from delusion that all locals are his or her servants and has a heavy dose of "my way or the highway" mentality.

Some of them end up in court for assault charges and scuffle with locals and are promptly fired and sent back to where they came from by their companies. Other manage to hang around long enough.

A rare few end up in bigger trouble when they mess with fishes bigger than they can handle, like picking a fight with the triads. They assume the triads are just as "meek" and "timid" as the average local. Very bad assumption. Although I've only heard of the odd expat that ran into triads since both groups generally stay clear of each other...except for those who suffer from the mental illness known as the "gwailo superiority complex".
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-03-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Agree with TheB's point - in some cultures complaints are made loud and clear and highly expressive, while other cultures suck it up and stoicly go about their business. Generally the Asian culture is not to loudly complain and draw attention to oneself (especialy in front of a bunch of strangers waiting for a lift that you will run into at some point), but approach it quietly so as to allow others to save face.
    When in Rome, do what the Romans do .

Sometimes I really don`t understand why foreigners want to stay here in HK for long. Probably because of their jobs. Otherwise it`s pretty much a hell hole here and probably will get even more worst under CY Leung comrade`s administration. That`s probably why all these frustration you've seen in these people.

TheBrit and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    Sometimes I really don`t understand why foreigners want to stay here in HK for long. Probably because of their jobs. Otherwise it`s pretty much a hell hole here and probably will get even more worst under CY Leung comrade`s administration. That`s probably why all these frustration you've seen in these people.
    Fogive me if I don't shed a tear for their "poor" plight. There are many choices for jobs in different fields around the world. Hong Kong is hardly the only choice. Nor is Hong Kong, for all it's faults, really the worse place a expat can live in, not by a long shot.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    jimbo likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast