Like Tree19Likes

Challenge for all geoexpaters: Make a local smile or laugh.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Challenge for all geoexpaters: Make a local smile or laugh.

Now we all know HK locals aren't known for being particularly friendly or outgoing. So here's the challenge for all of you, make a local smile or laugh on the MTR or at your residential estate or workplace ( and I mean a real smile or laughter, not the kind where locals just fake it to please their expat bosses or customers) .

In such a grim and fast-paced city like HK, a little smile or laughter can go a long way.

So are you up to challenge?

dear giant and pandancake like this.

Seriously!!!
    I don't think it's an issue, people are people and it's irrelevant whether local or expat, some always give you a smile and some won't.
    I usually get few smiles from locals every single day, unless I am cooped up in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Now we all know HK locals aren't known for being particularly friendly or outgoing. So here's the challenge for all of you, make a local smile or laugh on the MTR or at your residential estate or workplace ( and I mean a real smile or laughter, not the kind where locals just fake it to please their expat bosses or customers) .

In such a grim and fast-paced city like HK, a little smile or laughter can go a long way.

Maybe its just you, don't ask them about their weekend or that garbage. Ask them "sick Jor fan mei?" which means have you eaten yet?

I predict this thread will be closed in 4 pages due to ranting on both sides.

So far today I have made over 200 locals smile.

If I was still single I know a few local women I would love to make smile !

pandancake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynexpat:
    If I was still single I know a few local women I would love to make smile !
    How cute! An extra bellybutton...
    nobby15 likes this.

(and I mean a real smile or laughter, not the kind where locals just fake it to please their expat bosses or customers)...
    This thread's under 'Opinions & Humor' so let's monkey about here some more (before closure)

Forgive signs of any tooting... own horn here (yuk yuk) but like Bryant's post/hint 'tis EASY getting local young ones - along with their ol' folks - to smile. And I don't mean solely in the context of tutor and pupil etc... but also re complete strangers in the playground or open sitting-out bits 'round shopping centres or by waterfront/beach.

Yep, true, while dog-tired service staff learn to get by the long working day without barely making an effort, many others if you smile or chit-chat a mo' with 'em first will respond appropriately... Similar stuff in most big cities... Had a HK woman begin a casual convo with me coz she was curious 'bout a colourful Jamie Oliver cookery book I was flipping through on the bus the other day. No shortage of smiles and real momentary connection there.

I walk on Bowen Road, early mornings. I meet many old people, all of them say good morning and smile.

pandancake and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    I walk on Bowen Road, early mornings. I meet many old people, all of them say good morning and smile.
    Does Tung Chee-Hwa ever return greetings or a smile? What about a high-five?

well, another expat thread that does not make me smile but make me .....
    Satay Sue likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast