It was a dark and stormy night.....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    I'm in China and have never been able to access wiki.
    Snoopy might not have been the first, but his PR team is better at spreading the word.
    Next you're going to tell me he wasn't really a WWI flying ace.
    China bans access to Wikipedia?

They do on my computer and/or internet provider. The Economist also listed that as a banned site the other week in an article on China. Along with Skype. Don't have a problem with either site in HK.
    Can't have the minds of the people become filled with all that Western "knowledge" and the ability to communicate it without government oversight. Next they'll want to stop pollution, slavery in coal mines, land theft, government bribery, etc....

And China would have us believe she's very committed towards eliminating illiteracy

Good grief!

Clearly China underestimates the benefits of a completete illiterate logging on to the chinese version of wikipedia and discovering the light!!..tinybear ...I think you are still smarter than the average bear ...but not by much.

Wikipedia is democracy in so much that anyone can write what they want without liability. China is a totalitarean state : we who profit from working around the place may choose to forget it :

Wikipedia is not gospel anyway ..but convenience trumps fact so who the hell cares (check that, Hu the hell cares apparently ).

Quote Originally Posted by tinybear:
    And China would have us believe she's very committed towards eliminating illiteracy
    China will eliminate illiteracy, but will do it with government approved books. What if some idiot peasant started reading the Federalist Papers or similar democratic gobbledy-gook or, even worse, the (American) Declaration of Independence? Where would it end?
    The only way to fool all of the people all of the time is to control, or stop, the flow of information.

Quote Originally Posted by MS@HK:
    Wikipedia is not gospel anyway ..but convenience trumps fact so who the hell cares (check that, Hu the hell cares apparently ).
    Which is a perfect excuse to link to:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPrm6luPmME"]YouTube - Abbott and Costello "Who's on first"[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by MS@HK:
    Hu the hell cares
    No one has commented on the nice pun used so I am doing it ... nice pun

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Pun?
    I thought Hu was SMSese for who

The 5th is upon us with with no one up to the challenge so I will supply one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british...der_plot.shtml

and a mask when venturing out tonight

and finally where it all began
    http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscart.../aton1704l.jpg

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

The Mask! The Mask!