Some Aussie tunes, that remind me of home, what are yours ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some Aussie tunes, that remind me of home, what are yours ?

Thought I'd add a few songs that remind me of home. Reminising about nights out at the Espy enjoying original live bands in St Kilda, drinking latte's in Chapel Street and a 4am after gig snack at the Hide Out in Brunswick Street Fitzroy.

What songs remind you of home ?

Men at work: Overkill
    Film clip shot in my home town of Melbourne.

Men at work: Who can it be now

A version of Peter Allens I still call Australia Home, used by Qantas in 1997, a song that could be our second anthem.

Australian Crawl: Reckless.

Mondo Rock: Come said the boy

Mondo Rock: Cool World

Ballarat band, The Mavis's: Naughty Boy

Gee... aren't you an 80's tragic!
    It doesn't get more Aussie than INXS and Jimmy Barnes

Crocodile, u'll have to see Jimmy when he is here in January then!

I have a few particular fave classic Aussie 80's/90's tunes that can me feel "up" at any time..:

"Run to Paradise" - Choirboys
    "Throw your arms around me" - Hunters and collectors
    "Live it up" - Men at Work
    "What's my scene" - Hoodoo Gurus
    "Gotta get outta this place" - the Angels
    "Khe San" and "Choir girls" - Cold Chisel

Also just saw the NZ thread but had been originally tempted to add Split Enz to my post. Some faves are "I got you" and "Message to my girl". Saw them on their reunion tour last year and they were fabulous. Agree with Skyhook - both Split Enz and Crowded House are absolutely brilliant.

There's probably more I can't think of at the moment..

I think there have been a few good Aussie bands that have emerged in the 2000's..but ah.. the nostalgia..

Last edited by muse07; 07-12-2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: saw NZ thread

Crocodile, I was going to leave room for others to post lol.

I wouldnt even try and list all of the Aussie bands I like on a thread, that wouldnt be possible.

INXS and Barnsey no doubt is a fair offering, and all part of the Australian musical landscape.

Artists like Renee Geyer, John Paul Young, The Divinyls, Daryl Braithwaite, Russell Moris, John English, Rose Tattoo, Vince Jones, AC/DC, The Angels, Jack Jones aka Irwin Thomson of the Southern Sons, Tina Arena, Kylie Minogue, Midnight Oil, Darren Hayes, Ice House, Silver Chair, John Farnham.... etc etc etc etc etc....

Another anthemish iconic Aussie song, Midnight Oils: One country.

And Another, Ice House's Great Southern Land.

Heartilly agree with MuseO7, some good bands listed in his post too.

Last edited by Skyhook; 07-12-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Im not an Aussie but this song reminds me of when I was last there- awesome song by an awesome band.

And I couldn't leave these guys out:

http://www.youtube.com/v/DYbZNamJQ5g&rel=1

Definitely not these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/v/sKPPnGsdh0A&rel=1

And I'll let someone else choose the Accadacca song.

Only joking. Actually as a Pommy bastard I have to admit that the Bee Gees wrote some great songs in the 60s and early 70s before they became too disco. But they were born in Manchester weren't they?

Also, gotta say I am not a fan of Kylie Minogue BUT her 2004 hit 'I Believe in You' was excellent and is a guilty pleasure of mine!

Have to say that Kylie really impresses me with her Billy Joel ability to re invent her self during each album release.

She has that mass star quality appeal that can be compared to Madonna.

She really kicked musical arse upon releasing her Impossible Princess CD, shedding the locomotion Neighbours typecast, and emerging into something great.. Tina Arena can also be credited for such a shift too, ever since she moved to Paris, she became huge in Europe and if I am not mistaken, Australias richest female recording artist.

this Kylie song is in the same league as the one you posted Lammarite.

One of Tina Arena's songs in English.

And one of her biggest hits in Europe, that she sings in fluent French.

Another live song she performed on the spur of the moment with Donna Summer in New York, Tina has very very big lungs , for a tiny girl. She kicked vocal arse on this one. Every bit as good as Streisand.

Also keep an eye out for Russian speaking Vanessa Amorosi, she's got the vocals to be one the worlds great female vocalists. She's come a long way since singing at a Melbourne Ukrainian Bar as a very young teen.
    Vanessa Amorosi: Shine

Last edited by Skyhook; 07-12-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Yep come to think of it there are lots of great Aussie artists..

Methinks it might be nice to have an Aussie expat gathering at some point at some place which plays some Aussie music to compare notes (if it exists).

Was talking to a French guy the other week, and when I mentioned Aussie music, he questioned whether there was any :/ sheesh

Smile Indeed Rolf and the Gibb brothers, are Brits.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    YouTube - Rolf Harris - Tie Me Kangaroo Down

Only joking. Actually as a Pommy bastard I have to admit that the Bee Gees wrote some great songs in the 60s and early 70s before they became too disco. But they were born in Manchester weren't they?

Also, gotta say I am not a fan of Kylie Minogue BUT her 2004 hit 'I Believe in You' was excellent and is a guilty pleasure of mine!

YouTube - Kylie Minogue - I Believe in You
    We don't mind if you're a Brit Shilo, we both share the same head of state and acknowledge our British past, as do the Kiwi's, which is why the Union Jack still remains proudly on both flags.

Btw, I won't use the POM term, it really doesnt have any intelligent relevance today. A very old colonial abreviation for Prisoner Of Her/His Majesty.

Which Shilo, you're clearly not...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 07-12-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    We don't mind if you're a Brit Shilo, we both share the same head of state and acknowledge our British past, as do the Kiwi's, which is why the Union Jack still remains proudly on both flags.

Btw, I won't use the POM term, it really doesnt have any intelligent relevance today. A very old colonial abreviation for Prisoner Of Her/His Majesty.

Which Shilo, you're clearly not...
    Well, not only am I an atheist (to follow on from an earlier post this wek) but I am definitely an anti-royalist. The French had the right idea IMHO. I have no plans to go back to Blighty, even as a prisoner of her Maj.

Buy hey - are you sure about the origin of the word POM? I always thought it derived from the word Pomegranate? Check this out.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pom1.htm

It possibly derives from the fact that the Anglo-Saxon skin turned red in the Aussie sun like a Pomegranate or that many people on the long sea-journey suffered/died from scurvy and pomegranates were an excellent source of Vitamin C and would last a long time. Americans called Brits 'limeys' for a similar reason as limes were consumed to combat scurvy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast