Like Tree86Likes

racism versus homophobia on geo.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

Blanket statements are de rigueur at Geo -
    Blanket statements are common everywhere. It's hard work prefacing every comment with "in my opinion, based solely on my own experience, the majority of xxx types (taking care not to define XXX in any sexist or racist way) are yyy (taking care to express YYY in a non-offensive manner), except for the exceptions, of course".

Quite apart from that fact that all that takes AGES to type on a smartphone with no proper keyboard (the main reason why half my posts are no longer well argued or decently structured and contain numerous spelling errors and lack of capitalisation!). Anyone stalking me knows when I am on a bus......

To some extent I agree with BE's statement - I prefer to discuss stuff openly without too much of a "PC element" creeping in.

Having said that, I thought the jokes at the expense of the OP on the lesbian thread were not necessary. That was not a "discussion" thread, it was more like a "fact" thread and at minimum whoever is making jokes might at least have provided some useful information. If the others had not jumped in, the newbie OP might have thought that BE really did want to go to the party with her - just like if someone had posted "cool, I'm in" on any other "do you want to go to this event" with me thread.
    dear giant and Football16 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Blanket statements are common everywhere.
    and it makes it more acceptable?

It's not being PC to say that "a majority of Chinese ppl I know do not like art" instead of "Chinese do not like art", or "Most ppl we have interviewed are stupid" instead of "Chinese are stupid"

It may take 2 seconds more to type but it sure makes a difference when debating.
    Satay Sue, elle and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

lots of bitter, under-occupied trolls living under this here bridge...

"the older I grow the more I listen to people who don't talk much."

and it makes it more acceptable?

It's not being PC to say that "a majority of Chinese ppl I know do not like art" instead of "Chinese do not like art", or "Most ppl we have interviewed are stupid" instead of "Chinese are stupid"

It may take 2 seconds more to type but it sure makes a difference when debating.
    And if the debate were important, I would do it. On a smartphone on a bus debating with a bunch of xxx sometimes it's hard to wonder why bother. There are exceptions (and you are one of them) but there are also a fair number of people on these boards who do not bother to read what you write, and who selectively quote from replies (as you just did) that makes it hardly worth the effort.
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Blanket statements are common everywhere. It's hard work prefacing every comment with "in my opinion, based solely on my own experience, the majority of xxx types (taking care not to define XXX in any sexist or racist way) are yyy (taking care to express YYY in a non-offensive manner), except for the exceptions, of course".

Quite apart from that fact that all that takes AGES to type on a smartphone with no proper keyboard (the main reason why half my posts are no longer well argued or decently structured and contain numerous spelling errors and lack of capitalisation!). Anyone stalking me knows when I am on a bus......

To some extent I agree with BE's statement - I prefer to discuss stuff openly without too much of a "PC element" creeping in.

Having said that, I thought the jokes at the expense of the OP on the lesbian thread were not necessary. That was not a "discussion" thread, it was more like a "fact" thread and at minimum whoever is making jokes might at least have provided some useful information. If the others had not jumped in, the newbie OP might have thought that BE really did want to go to the party with her - just like if someone had posted "cool, I'm in" on any other "do you want to go to this event" with me thread.
    no one is stalking you

Quote Originally Posted by Unsolicited:
    no one is stalking you
    Actually, they are, but that's a different story altogether!
    HowardCoombs likes this.

What I have learned from this thread:

It's bad to joke about lesbians and gays, because they have special sensitivities.
    It's OK to label people who make these bad jokes as "men" and boys" and "hetero".
    And by force of logic: Lesbians, gays, and woman have no sense of humor and are obviously of higher class.

bookblogger likes this.

Funny though, if the comments/"jokes" were directed at Chinese, black etc, I'm sure your sentiment would be different...(or would it?)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    What I have learned from this thread:

It's bad to joke about lesbians and gays, because they have special sensitivities.
    It's OK to label people who make these bad jokes as "men" and boys" and "hetero".
    And by force of logic: Lesbians, gays, and woman have no sense of humor and are obviously of higher class.
    Optical shop for you BBB.

audiot likes this.

Optical shop for you BBB.

i like jokes! they just have to be funny or witty... and Mat's just made me have issues with my coffee

skyhooks point about sheffield steelworkers were spot on, basically I heard my Dad and his mates come out with all that rubbish we heard... ( back in the 70's probably! )

I do like russel peter's - I've seen a few of his shows,

has anyone seen the iranian lady - shappi khorsandi? she's hilarious too!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast