Like Tree86Likes

racism versus homophobia on geo.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

As a straight man, I have nothing against gays and lesbians. Feel free to do whatever you like. It's not my place to say who people should love. Some of my best friends and colleagues are gay. I honestly couldn't care less what gender you're into. I don't judge and even in my quiet mind, I do not judge. I really have no problem with it.

I am however going tired of the issue being forced on us though, at a personal level, in media, tv shows, movies etc. Sometimes it feels like people are forced to accept it and if you don't like it, you're labelled as homophobic and a bad person living behind a rock. There's something wrong about that I think. Although completely different, compare it to religion: I'm not religious. I don't tell you not to believe, so don't tell me to believe or that I'm wrong in not believing.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Funny though, if the comments/"jokes" were directed at Chinese, black etc, I'm sure your sentiment would be different...(or would it?)
    directed at me?
    My response (if so) would be:
    I did not read the jokes, so i do not know how bad they are/were. Posts have since been deleted. My comment above was based solely on what the discussion was, and I saw a lot of people saying it was nothing, and a lot of people accusing anyone who dared to make a joke as being a hetero male, a school boy, or something similar. People say it's bad to make blanket statements, but turn around and make them themselves. Do gays not joke about themselves? Do women not joke about themselves?

As for the jokes, again I did not see them. But i do not think it is bad to joke about things in light hearted humor. Yes you might need to be careful of your audience as many people don't share the same sense of humor, but at same time you can't spend your entire life fearing what people think of you.

And to answer your question specifically, if it was a very funny joke about blacks, chinese, white, jews, christians, gays, etc...i would probably chuckle and think its funny.
    Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 21-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    bookblogger and Dreadnought like this.

i hear your argument, but really is this media prominence a reaction to the years of oppression? perhaps in a 20 years it will be passe - if you look back at the history of changes of human rights - black people in the 80's must have done quite a few face palms - oh no not that crap again! could you see Jim davidson saying what he said in the 70/80's on the BBC now?

I'd hate to be thought of as a prude, I do have a sense of humor - but I just think that those type of jokes have a time and a place perhaps ? boys locker room

plastering them all over a newcomer's post is just playing for very cheap laughs! and actually I just wanted to say that some of us felt uncomfortable that "you" could put this stuff up so regularly - and actually its not even funny!

the world seems to be a strange place these days- rights I took for granted, rights that were fought for - such as pro-choice etc seem to be coming under attack - and "humour" can be the thin end of a wedge...

So BBB in short, you didn't read the posts/thread but felt like commenting on it ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    So BBB in short, you didn't read the posts/thread but felt like commenting on it ;-P
    - its a common phenomena

Men Explain Things to Me | NationofChange

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    I'd hate to be thought of as a prude, I do have a sense of humor - but I just think that those type of jokes have a time and a place perhaps ? boys locker room
    audiot...you keep mentioning that its boys or men with these jokes. How can you blather on about people being insensitive and poor blanket statements while you continue to make sexist remarks. Tolerance for all, or tolerance for none. If you can joke about sexism, why can't someone joke about religion or color or sexual preference?

The future of comedy:
    Q) How many blondes does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A) It shouldn't take more than one person to do this task, regardless of hair color.
    Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 21-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Bryant's comment somethign along the lines of:

"Count me in"

Isn't this blowing it MASSIVELY out of proportion? Or maybe I missed something. A bit juvenile at the very worst but hardly worth getting upset over.

Last edited by Alan Partridge; 21-08-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    bryant.english likes this.

"unfortunately" the original thread has been sanitised else I could provide evidence..

from memory - it was BE, Stoob, Clyuek? who else was on it giggling?

you are right I am making an assumption - but they were all men right? it seems to be the same people who jump all over the single girl threads like excited puppies doing leg humps.

Skyhook, Mat and Football16 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Bryant's comment somethign along the lines of:

"Count me in"

Isn't this blowing it MASSIVELY out of proportion? Or maybe I missed something. A bit juvenile at the very worst but hardly worth getting upset over.
    call it anticipation and experience of hanging around here..

you would still have to accept the point that its not very welcoming to a new comer regardless of "intention" ? and its soo blinking old already.

I for one would like to hear more from different people that I might not hear from otherwise, giving "shit" to strangers isnt big or clever when hiding behind a psuedonym you cuticle-less cubicle warriors!
    Football16 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast