Like Tree86Likes

The dumbing down of the British Royal Family continues...

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Ah that is why you hate the royal family
    don't hate them...
    just wonder how useful and necessary they are nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by amitsingh_hk:
    what i mean by relevance is to whom do they benefit...?
    it doesn't take blue-blooded individuals to travel around the world showcasing Brittania.

tax-payer's money go to provide them with security, travel expenses, their lifestyle and this is besides their inheritance.
    ofcourse they need to be relevant... as nobody wants to see money wasted. not one paper indicated this as it seems nobody wants to mention this to sound unpatriotic...
    Surely if people turn up to see them on these trips they are indeed relevant. If they wern't, overseas people would simply not turn up to welcome them.

Who would you pick instead to travel the world to showcase Britain?

Very odd that you single this aspect out. To me that's one of few things they are very good at. And they seem to be pretty popular when they do it.
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 24-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys but I actually had to work today.

Re amit - my non-pc remark was never intended to say that I don't think of indians (or others of non-white origins) are less British but that they probably come from a stream of british culture that is less likely to revere the royal family, due to having roots in a place that most likely thought the Empire was a menace than a benefit. I would say much the same of many Scots and Irish as well. But I didn't actually want to say so because it would easily get mis-interpreted (as it was, even without saying, which is almost funny).

That was half of the stream of conscious thought anyway - the other one was that amit has some rather odd ideas about many things so it did not surprise me if he didn't like royals either! (which had nothing whatsoever to do with race and 100% to do with posting history).

Anyway, back to Harry - the guy is a young man who is currently serving in the armed forces and he had a bit of fun in Vegas. How can we turn that into 13 pages? For the record, I DO like the royal family, voted against the referendum when the Aussies had a go at turfing them out a few years back and think they add hugely to our country. When I look at the crap the USA go through to find a new head of state every few years, I think how lucky we are to have one that is apolitical and puts her country first. Anyone who thinks they are rich layabouts don't seem to know much about how much they put back into the country, how many charities and other events they support or how awful it must be to be born into a life where you can never go and have fun in Vegas without somebody wanting to splash it all over the world press.

bookblogger, bibbju and hullexile like this.

To be fair to randy his pushing of park island is pretty impressive. I was tempted to go and have a look at one point!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    To be fair to randy his pushing of park island is pretty impressive. I was tempted to go and have a look at one point!
    Check out the sporting facilities for top athletes while you are there

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Check out the sporting facilities for top athletes while you are there
    Not to mention portraits from his knighting ceremony.

It's definitely not a bad place at all, it's just not for everyone. Same as Goldcoast.

bryant.english likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13