Like Tree68Likes

Really just a vent

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Really just a vent

On another (US-based) forum that I frequent, there is a thread about BP, the gulf, payouts, compensation, etc. The rhetoric revolves around foreign company, American lives, livelihoods, jail/hang BP bosses... you get the gist.

I mentioned Bhopal. I mentioned it was one of the world's worse industrial accidents. I mentioned many more deaths and people still suffering. I mentioned the lack of real compensation. I mentioned the lack of accountability. My post did not go down well.

Just because something happens in "your backyard" and it was "your people" who were affected doesn't make it the worse catastrophe ever. And I won't apologise for pointing that out.

Okay, vent over.

P.S. No pun intended in the title. Sorry.

Edit: Editor, feel free to delete. Just needed to get pissy.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 04-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    On another (US-based) forum that I frequent, there is a thread about BP, the gulf, payouts, compensation, etc. The rhetoric revolves around foreign company, American lives, livelihoods, jail/hang BP bosses... you get the gist.

I mentioned Bhopal. I mentioned it was one of the world's worse industrial accidents. I mentioned many more deaths and people still suffering. I mentioned the lack of real compensation. I mentioned the lack of accountability. My post did not go down well.

Just because something happens in "your backyard" and it was "your people" who were affected doesn't make it the worse catastrophe ever. And I won't apologise for pointing that out.

Okay, vent over.

P.S. No pun intended in the title. Sorry.

Edit: Editor, feel free to delete. Just needed to get pissy.
    This is what comes of not travelling abroad in my opinion! No genuine experience of other cultures. This odd, America-centric world view....

Can't say I'm a fan of the "you're just as bad" defence....however ignorant of Bhopal many Americans may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    If you want to make yourself even more popular, point out that:
    1) the twin tower deaths were a tiny drop in the bucket when compared to deaths in dozens (nay, hundreds) of other incidents around the world

2) Hitler and his buddies were not the worst:
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/tyrants.htm
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/atrox.htm

and then just run away and create a new account as you'll be hated forever...

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Can't say I'm a fan of the "you're just as bad" defence....however ignorant of Bhopal many Americans may be.
    That was not my defence. More along the lines of corporations/those at fault are sometimes never bought to book, using Bhopal as an example. But they took it as an attack, which it wasn't.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 04-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thats Americans for you. Myopic as all hell. Informed debate appears to be impossible over there...

audiot likes this.

And people complain about the nationalism of the mainland Chinese. i do.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    If you want to make yourself even more popular, point out that:
    1) the twin tower deaths were a tiny drop in the bucket when compared to deaths in dozens (nay, hundreds) of other incidents around the world

2) Hitler and his buddies were not the worst:
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/tyrants.htm
    http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/atrox.htm

and then just run away and create a new account as you'll be hated forever...
    lol yes that is a surefire way to get incinerated by rapid flame attack!

you also try pointing out: a few thousand dead in 9/11 vs over a million slaughtered in iraq following us invasion...

Sometimes...

... you have to let it go.

9/11 has got to be the most overblown incident in earth's history... But hey Tiger Woods or Lindsey Lohan gets a hang nail over there and it becomes big news...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast