what makes a good forum?

Closed Thread

what makes a good forum?

what makes a good forum? It isn't just the subject/raison d'etre that makes the grade. I'd add good moderation, open mindedness and ?? Why do some forums attract THOUSANDS of members and others barely a handful? What do you or don't you like in a forum?

At the end of the day, its about building a community (and not just a forum).

Getting helpful users involved is usually the first step...

Numbers are usually not a part of the equation... quality is of utmost concern no matter how large or small the niche.

i think many times controversial subject matters will strong participation... and strong opinions prompt the same thing. I think open mindedness is good and putting personal egos aside when writing is more conducive for a healthy thread... some responses makes me cringe but sometimes we just need to agree to disagree :-))

Weeding out the mean and the vicious helps.

yeah the no ego thing resonates deeply with me.

But still numbers are indication of how attractive the forum is especially if it is on a fan site for example.

Also for example this forum has more members than other expat forums = more activity = more interesting = more attractive = more members.

So what are the attractors for people in the first place?

I'm a long time contributing member to some of the most visited forums in the world and I think their one of their secrets of success is that they never ban.

which goes to true freedom of speach. how do they deal when people do go too far in a heated debate? or refuse to desist from making OTT offensive remarks?