Baby talk

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

And to the person who gave me a negative rating saying "quit wasting our time with your pointless rants" - you need to read the title of this forum: it's called "Anti-productivity"; its whole raison d'être is to waste your time!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I get disturbed by married couples who refer to themselves as "mother" and "father" instead of their actual names. Creepy

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I get disturbed by married couples who refer to themselves as "mother" and "father" instead of their actual names. Creepy
    And they're the ones that usually wear matching fleeces on walks out in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Well, ok, but how do you feel about parents who teach their kids to call them by their first names - and all other adults too?

I'm not comfortable with some precocious 8-year-old brat coming into my home talking to me and wife on first name terms in front of my own (more respectful) children.

Oh, and whoever is dishing out negatives about a topic that's "wasting their time', doesn't that just point up what a stultifying sytem you're running here.

Aren't you guys ever allowed to have any fun???
    Last edited by araucaria; 26-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.

And there goes a perfectly well crafted rant.....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    Well, ok, but how do you feel about parents who teach their kids to call them by their first names - and all other adults too?

I'm not comfortable with some precocious 8-year-old brat coming into my home talking to me and wife on first name terms in front of my own (more respectful) children.
    I call my parents by their first names and have done since a child. But I was taught NEVER to do that with other adults. My friends' parents were always Mr This or Mrs That. I have known one friend's parents for over forty years and still refer to them as such.

If some precocious 8-year-old brat called me by my first name without my consent, I would soon put him/her straight. It's not really about the name; it's the general lack of respect which seems to have passed by the teachings of some parents.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 26-03-2008 at 03:59 PM.

to be fair, kids pick up what the parents say. my 2y.o. who calls me daddy most time, will suddenly call me by name because that's what he heard my wife calls me at time.

and if you cannot control what they do for fun, its better to keep it systematic and not confuse them. i.e. call your spouse daddy or mummy. we even avoid using other form of derivatives like papa or mama...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    to be fair, kids pick up what the parents say. my 2y.o. who calls me daddy most time, will suddenly call me by name because that's what he heard my wife calls me at time.
    Same here. Our 22 MO just started using our first names. But it is mostly "mommy and daddy".

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm thinking particularly of the word "doggie" which crops up a lot in the pet owners' forum here. What exactly is wrong with the word "dog"?
    I guess these are the same kind of people who use a stroller to bring their "doggie" out, or carry them around in bags. And dress them up like dolls the moment the temperature drops to below 20 degrees .
    All this happens where I live... there is even a dog who had to wear shoes during "winter".