Baby talk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baby talk

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but can someone explain to me the trend amongst apparently grown adults to use "baby talk" words for things, apparently with no embarrassment at all? I'm thinking particularly of the word "doggie" which crops up a lot in the pet owners' forum here. What exactly is wrong with the word "dog"?

And while we're at it, what are these "baggie" things that we are supposed to use at US airport security? In what sense do they differ from "bags"?

Awww .. you're such a cutie when you rant.

Baby talk depends on the baby of course. My sweet 16 month monster greeted me yesterday morning by holding out her hand and saying "money" - what she will be like by 16 years old I hate to think. How I wish she said sweet things like "doggie"

Dearie me, such a cynic.

Clearly she meant "Mummy" - kiddies get mixed up at that age about men's and women's thingies.

Bet what she really wanted was a titty.

"Baggie" is American English for small, plastic bag. Not really baby talk.
    Can't help you with "doggie". Even our 22 MO says "dog" or "puppy", no distinction, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    Dearie me, such a cynic.

Clearly she meant "Mummy" - kiddies get mixed up at that age about men's and women's thingies.

Our 22 MO has used the word "money" for a month or so now and he knows it is the coins and bills we hand over to other people. He mostlylikes to ask for the coins so he can slide them into the tunnel under the bed. The bills he just sort of tosses around like cards. We make the same "What will he be like when he is 16" joke.

Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    Dearie me, such a cynic.

Oh no she didn't, you don't know this baby. Money she said and money she meant. When your baby grabs you by the hand, says "game", and drags you into another room to play cards; when she grabs a basketball off some teenage kids and runs away with it and the locals on finding out her age say "oh my God"; when your helper says if the next one is like this one then she is going back to the Philippines - then you know you have bred a (very beautiful) monster.

P.S. Her mother offered her a tit the other day to which baby responded "yuk".

doggie is not necessarily "baby talk"...just little dog. or say...doggie bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    "Baggie" is American English for small, plastic bag. Not really baby talk.
    American English? Baby talk?

So fine a distinction as to be occasionally meaningless. Okay, that was a cheap shot, but it had to be made
    Last edited by jgl; 26-03-2008 at 02:28 PM.

baby talking ?

mine has been holding on to toys that he has 'picked' at toys r us, and the only time you can get him to hand it over is if you tell him 'let's go pay money'... and he will say 'pay money pay money' and place the toy on the cashier counter tiptoed..

digressing during lunch time.

Last edited by freeier; 26-03-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast