Best F & B locations you have ever eaten.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best F & B locations you have ever eaten.

Seeing as the topic of food quality was raised recently, and as its fresh in the minds of every body, I thought it might be interesting to list some locations that really impressed for all the right culinary reasons. We all have various levels of culinary understanding, and appreciation. I am curious to see if by what I have experienced globally matches, others, listing the details of what made those experiences stand out.

My list of favourite culinary locations below, in order:

• Paris is my all time favourite cafe and medium priced restaurant location globally. The sheer attention to FRESH produce is just amazing. The whole ambiance adds to the joy of what is presented, matched with consistently high grade ingredients, never left us feeling anything but impressed. No matter if it was a Mongolian or a Provencal meal, the attention to recipe accuracy was always maintained..

• Melbourne Australia, no matter what ethnic cuisine is chosen, its always possible to find restaurants that follow the exact recipe of the regional dish selected, another situation where fresh market produce makes the end result shine. Incidentally the best Cantonese/Shanghainese food I have ever eaten, was at the Flower Drum in little bourke street Melbourne.

• New Zealand, on the whole seems to follow the same approach to F & B attitudes that Melbourne does. Cuba Street in Wellington among my favourite places, very continental and creative, and where Fidel's cafe is located, which just makes you feel good, during a Sunday brunch.

• Dubai, I have to say I was impressed constantly by the high standards of F & B accuracy when we were there, even at cafe level like the Baska Art Cafe, Elements cafe in Wafi, and Shakespeare's Cafe, some of the nicest local and international meals, set in relaxing atmospheres that we have ever had.

• Seoul was to date the best Asian city that I have enjoyed local and international meals, at restaurant level, Seoul can hold its head up high.

We will be travelling to Europe again this August for summer holidays, I will be sure to further add our experiences after we return.

What are your favourite food cities/countries ?

My favourite is not a city, it's more of a location- northern Italy. Mainly for the emphasis on fresh, high quality ingredients in unpretentious restaurants. Carpaccio, steak tartare, tomato and mozzarella salads. Amazing coffee. I have been told that food is even better in southern Italy, but I've never been there.

Second on my list is Tokyo (and the parts of rural Japan that I've been to.) Again, due to an obsession with quality ingredients. Even Wendys hamburgers are good in Tokyo.

Third would be a tie between Sydney and Chang Mai. Sydney for it's good international mix (especially Thai and Chinese). Chang Mai for much the same reason- I found great Spanish food, there, much to my surprise. And Thai food is much better in Chang Mai than in the south.

Last on my list: Ghana, the Philippines and northern Vietnam. The first two were absolutely ghastly. Vietnam was just uniformly blah.

Skyhook- I'd agree that Seoul is great for food. It's not in my top 3 because I didn't spend enough time there to properly explore it. Paris, I just don't like French food, but the hotdogs in ski resorts are amazing. Melbourne- I'd probably agree with you, but again, I've not spent enough time to explore the food there (I had amazing Greek food there though)

Last edited by jgl; 10-06-2008 at 12:32 PM.

JGL its all good, at the end of the day we all share different tastes, some food cities are more diverse in their culinary options, some are more fluent to the region, Italy for example, each provence has its set food styles. Paris is fairly open, and diverse to many different ethnic cuisines, not just the local offerings, but as i don't have an individual favourite food, I liked everything that was placed before me in Paris. The best Cherry vanilla Ice cream I have ever eaten globally was near La Fayette. So GOOD to eat something that was specially made that morning, instead of the commercial grade ice cream etc. Just one of many things, not to mention coffee, and all the great things to indulge in, France remains an eclectic foodie wonderland.

But thats my opinion, this topic isn't about whats better than another, your post was a great read, and I enjoyed your appraisal, based on your experiences.

one of the joys of international travel, is the exposure to the food culture.

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-06-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Oh, my post wasn't a 'my favourites are better than your favourites' response, it was just comparing notes on the places that you mentioned.

Come to think of it, the best carpaccio I ever had was in Seoul about ten years ago at the Grand Hyatt.

JGL,
    I am hoping that we can actually get to Southern Italy Genoa etc, I know the food there will be sensational.

I will have a car load of family that arent really used to being couped up in an Opel Zafira CDTi MPV for long drives, but hoping we dont get too many, "are we there yet, are we there yet" grizzles.

We will definitely cross the Swiss border via France, not really sure what to expect regarding Swiss foods, i assume it will be a bit Germanic ish etc, but sure to be something new to experience. I am looking forward to the long scenic drive, I tell you what .

Last edited by Skyhook; 10-06-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    JGL,
    I am hoping that we can actually get to Southern Italy Genoa etc, I know the food there will be sensational.

I will have a car load of family that arent really used to being couped up in an Opel Zafira CDTi MPV for long drives, but hoping we dont get too much "are we there yet, are we there yet" grizzles.

We will definitely cross the Swiss border via France, not really sure what to expect regarding Swiss foods, i assume it will be a bit Germanic ish etc, but sure to be something new to experience. I am looking forward to the scenic drive I tell you what .
    I'm jealous A scenic drive through Europe and the best of Italian cuisine...nothing could be further from the stresses of Hong Kong and the average food here!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I will have a car load of family that arent really used to being couped up in an Opel Zafira CDTi MPV for long drives, but hoping we dont get too many, "are we there yet, are we there yet" grizzles.
    What better excuse to stop frequently and eat?

We will definitely cross the Swiss border via France, not really sure what to expect regarding Swiss foods, i assume it will be a bit Germanic ish etc, but sure to be something new to experience. I am looking forward to the long scenic drive, I tell you what .
    Hmm... my experience with Swiss food has peaked at railway station hotdogs. Oh, and of course chocolate. That kinda makes up for everything else

JGL,

I agree with northern Italy as one of a few paradises for foodies - we were lucky enough to live there & I'd go back in a second!! Swiss food is a mix of French, Swiss & Italian (depending where you are) but like France & Italy, pretty outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What better excuse to stop frequently and eat?

Hmm... my experience with Swiss food has peaked at railway station hot-dogs. Oh, and of course chocolate. That kinda makes up for everything else
    We plan to make a few stops along the way, we are not planning to follow a tour bus schedule, thankfully, one of the great things about a self drive holiday..

ha ha ha I am going to have seek out one of these amazing hot dogs, JGL , and of course we all like freshly made Swiss choccy .

Cara, thanks for that bit of info, that makes sense as Switzerland neighbours Italy and France, so we are going to be happy campers...

Daniel&Hayley, Europe is one of the best detoxes I know, especially if you have lived in Asia for quiet a few years. . When we were in France last year, it was so relaxing, shopping, and walking around, not a bother in the world. Its like visiting the moon, the difference in lifesyle perspective.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 10-06-2008 at 06:10 PM.

FYI-

N.Italy - places to eat:

Arona (Lago di Maggiore)
    Stresa "
    Tremezzo (Lago di Como)
    Bellagio "
    Santa Margharita "

Switzerland:

Lake Lugano
    St.Moritz

There are many wonderful locations though....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast