Is their an English word for....

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

how about:
    tidy
    neat
    hygienic?

"Clean-conscious" - compound adjective - acceptable - just like the many compound nouns floating around.

Another one - "clean-and-tidy minded"?

BTW, what's the CONTEXT of use? Are you writing someone a job reference?

Last edited by emmie; 12-06-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    Oh c'mon -

Would you rather be described as having "immaculate taste" OR "anal taste"!?!

I do tend to like things to match aesthetically - towels, etc - so I do actually have 'anal' taste. I revel in my anal-ness.Can you not be both anal and immaculate?

LOL - I feel a personal hygiene joke coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    "Clean-conscious" - compound adjective - acceptable - just like the many compound nouns floating around.

Another one - "clean-and-tidy minded"?

BTW, what's the CONTEXT of use? Are you writing someone a job reference?
    OK the context. My daughter, the one year old, always asks for a tissue to clean her hands and/or face after she has eaten, likes to change her clothes if they get dirty. Does not mind getting dirty, just likes to clean up after. Also cleans the floor if she makes a mess, picks up things she drops, throws her rubbish in the bin, etc. My wife asked me what the English word was for someone who likes to be clean (there is one in her language) but could not think of one that seemed appropriate. Mind you in her language there is no word for hand or foot so she can't say anything about us not having a word for a person who likes to be clean!

Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy:
    I do tend to like things to match aesthetically - towels, etc - so I do actually have 'anal' taste. I revel in my anal-ness.Can you not be both anal and immaculate?

LOL - I feel a personal hygiene joke coming on...
    Like ta think my taste's TOO immaculate to be anywhere near anal...!

The only other real-life situ I've heard this A-word used was when I employed it to hurl ABUSE at a very annoying ex-friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    OK the context. My daughter, the one year old, always asks for a tissue to clean her hands and/or face after she has eaten, likes to change her clothes if they get dirty. Does not mind getting dirty, just likes to clean up after. Also cleans the floor if she makes a mess, picks up things she drops, throws her rubbish in the bin, etc. My wife asked me what the English word was for someone who likes to be clean (there is one in her language) but could not think of one that seemed appropriate. Mind you in her language there is no word for hand or foot so she can't say anything about us not having a word for a person who likes to be clean!

I'm intrigued...what language does your wife speak? Is the hand/foot just seen as part of the arm/leg and the same word used?

In the context of a one year old I think the word for the behaviour you describe is "weird"

how about ' Prim' - "excessively neat and tidy" according the research function on ms word!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    how about ' Prim' - "excessively neat and tidy" according the research function on ms word!

How about 'female'?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    How lovely that your one-yr-old daughter's already SO clean-and-tidy minded!

Yeah, lingo - across cultures and nationalities - often intriguing.

BTW, in Canto the equivalent expression might be:

"KUI-ger YANN hai GONG-JENG KAY-LAY"

Literally: Her person(-type) is clean tidy.
    "She's a clean and tidy kind of person."
    [Or, "he's" or "her/his person(-type) is..." as non-gender specific in Chinese.]

(Albeit, limited a bit by this simple phonetic script!).
    Last edited by emmie; 12-06-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Being a bit anal...