Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huja

If you love reading....

Closed Thread

If you love reading....

99 problems book lovers face

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/9...nerd-problems/

Of course, now we have kindles, there are a whole bunch of new problems in life...

Modern day problems for those who love to read . . .

-You have to wait a whole minute to have a book delivered to you at home or where ever you are.

-Your kindle has a cracked screen and you still have 100 pages in a thriller you're currently reading.

-No paper cuts, but your fingers are cramped from holding your device and swiping the to the next page.

-Really hard to use your finger as a bookmark while flipping forward on an e-reader.

-You forgot your headphones so you actually have to read the book yourself instead of listening to a recorded voice read it to you.

-Missed opportunity to meet other nerds at the bookstore (esp. lonely housewives in the trashy romance section)

-Instead of paperback or hardcover, you fret about .mobi or .epub

-Coffee table books are no longer fun on an e-book reader

-No used e-copies to buy or sell

-You can't start a conversation by saying, "Hey, I just read that. Great book!," because all books look the same on a kindle from afar.

-That autographed, first edition? Just not that impressive on a Kindle.

-No more old book smell

-Empty book cases

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Modern day problems for those who love to read . . .

-You have to wait a whole minute to have a book delivered to you at home or where ever you are.

-Your kindle has a cracked screen and you still have 100 pages in a thriller you're currently reading.

-No paper cuts, but your fingers are cramped from holding your device and swiping the to the next page.

-Really hard to use your finger as a bookmark while flipping forward on an e-reader.

-You forgot your headphones so you actually have to read the book yourself instead of listening to a recorded voice read it to you.

-Missed opportunity to meet other nerds at the bookstore (esp. lonely housewives in the trashy romance section)

-Instead of paperback or hardcover, you fret about .mobi or .epub

-Coffee table books are no longer fun on an e-book reader

-No used e-copies to buy or sell

-You can't start a conversation by saying, "Hey, I just read that. Great book!," because all books look the same on a kindle from afar.

-That autographed, first edition? Just not that impressive on a Kindle.

-No more old book smell

-Empty book cases
    Reading in the bath with a glass of wine becomes a high risk game instead of a soothing wind down to the day

Huja, I have to dispute some of your claims:
    The mobi vs epub dilemma is easily solved: use calibre as your ebook library on your computer, that way you can covert one format into the other without problems (especially when you use Apprentice Alf's add ons)

I still get that 'hey, great book' reaction, because I make my own Kindle covers using old books (with incorporated book lights ;-)£

Somehow we still have full book shelves, even though we gave hundreds of books to charities. Our bookshelves are now stuffed with text books (mostly English, Chinese and German grammar - all mine), pattern making and sewing books (they are large and all mine), books about photography (Mr Elle's, about 50+) and everything P.G. Wodehouse has ever written (both of us can't part with those)...

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Reading in the bath with a glass of wine becomes a high risk game instead of a soothing wind down to the day
    Nope, tried and tested: a zip lock bag roughly the size of your Kindle takes care of that (even on dive boats).