Like Tree117Likes

17.5 yrs old daughter drinking my booze at home !!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We would go out at lunchtime for a drink when in the Upper 6th. It was fine so long as we went to one particular pub, thus avoiding the others the teachers went to. Every one avoided the pub the Headmistress went to.

Teenagers have been nicking their parent's alcohol since it was invented. Make it a big issue and they will continue doing it in secret, and you won't know there is a problem until it is too late. In 6 months they will be legally able to walk into a bar and buy their own drink, you have 6 months to help them to be able to use that right responsibly.

Teach your child responsible drinking, have a drink with your child, make it a non-issue. Get them into appreciating quality drinks, be it wine or fine spirits. Help them to understand that a little of a good thing is the best way to enjoy for those things in life that aren't good for us in excess, but are still ok to do in small amounts.

tabletop

Would never happen to me because I don't drink alcohol But if it did then I'd try to talk to her about it.

joanfung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    There's an article in today's paper about teenage drinking:

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/health...ack-regulation
    What was incredible about that was that there are no laws in HK to ban sale of alcohol to under 18's! Wow.

And second wow for me was that it's banned under 21 in the states ... !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What was incredible about that was that there are no laws in HK to ban sale of alcohol to under 18's! Wow.

And second wow for me was that it's banned under 21 in the states ... !!!!
    maybe due to Asian teenage moderation to alcohol, there is no drinking social problem among the young unlike UK, just look at uk town's during weekends near the clubs, allsorts of things happen ( not so nice things), worse still A & E are overwhelmed with this problem

tabletop
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    maybe due to Asian teenage moderation to alcohol, there is no drinking social problem among the young unlike UK, just look at uk town's during weekends near the clubs, allsorts of things happen ( not so nice things), worse still A & E are overwhelmed with this problem
    I rememebr reading in a newspaper that teenage either drinking or smoking or drug usage is quite high in HK as of recently. But I don't remember which one it was though. Which surprised me because the impression I got of HK youth is being too busy with homework and extra-curricular activities to do anything else. But then i don't do nightlife stuff so idk really.

There is a fair bit of gang influenced drug and alcohol culture in the estates.

Also, a fair amount of drug use in the international schools.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...olice?page=all

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...g-use?page=all

List goes on.

Like some of the folks have pointed out .. best to have a long chat with the kids.

joanfung likes this.

Guess you haven't been down Carnegies on a Friday night, rammed with school kids
    joanfung likes this.

21 is nothing! In Mumbai it's 25...

I don't agree. I used a teach a couple of lovely 15 year olds who would regular go to Victoria park with their friends and drink beer.

If you've had to wade knee deep through vomit in a local bar and watched unconscious girls (and guys) being carried out- or more often abandoned on a sofa with everyone's jackets you might think differently.

It's certainly not as bad as the uk but drink and especially drug use is a big problem with teens. Its just swept under the carpet.
    joanfung likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast