Like Tree117Likes

17.5 yrs old daughter drinking my booze at home !!!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Still better than smoking I would say
    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by cwardnyc:
    Yeah much better to be positive and talk about it or have a drink with them rather than making out that it's the end of the world

Sent from my Q10 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Err... Monkey see, monkey do?
    Just talk to her (calmly...) and teach her that she needs to Ask you for the booze.
    She is following your example, so it is up to you to show her how to drink.

Unless you are also straight laced than you donot have ANY alcohol in the house... then its time to TEACH your offspring how to drink, how to appreciate wine, port, champagne, scotch... etc etc.

Started enjoying port with my Mum when I was 15, and she took me to wine tasting events, that also helped me to handle all those teenage peer pressure from sneaking "forbidden" alcohol... it was NOT forbidden, and I never felt the need to get drunk.

Also builds good relationships... my friends thought that I had the coolest Mum in town, simply because I have never had to hide ANYTHING from the parents
    It also can open up channel of communications with your daughter that you are willing to LISTEN to her first ?
    by bringing it up calmly, you might just end being the "coolest" parent in town
    Last edited by LifeInHK; 13-05-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: "COOL Mum"
    shri, Trance Omega and joanfung like this.

When my sister and then I got to about 13/14, he sat us down and told us that if/when we wanted to drink, he'd buy the booze on the condition that we drank it at home. We had a pretty big garden and a caravan so plenty of privacy, and duly got ourselves absolutely trashed. Our friends thought we were so cool, and their parents trusted our parents to care for intoxicated horny adolescents.

We did as all teenagers do and binged, puked everywhere and regretted it all the next morning, but looking back, it was much better to do it at my house than in a park or school football field or somewhere.

OP, chill out and talk to your daughter as an adult. It's NOT cool her stealing your booze, but if you aren't prepared to allow her booze, it's to be expected.

joanfung likes this.

I started drinking when I was over 22 but twice I nicked one drink from the bottle of something at home in my teens, but just one drink as I was afraid of what could happen if I had more.
    Now I caught upon all the lost time and opportunities.

Op I think you've got pretty sensible advice from parents here and some non parents too. I think when the time comes for me I'll do the same and get my kids trashed at home in there room and make them clean up their vomit from the floor the next day, yay that sounds fun!!!

joanfung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    I don't agree. I used a teach a couple of lovely 15 year olds who would regular go to Victoria park with their friends and drink beer.

If you've had to wade knee deep through vomit in a local bar and watched unconscious girls (and guys) being carried out- or more often abandoned on a sofa with everyone's jackets you might think differently.

It's certainly not as bad as the uk but drink and especially drug use is a big problem with teens. Its just swept under the carpet.
    the scale is very small compared to UK, a few kids ( barely hundred teenagers per week ) from population of 7 million in HK, compared to tens of thousand's in London ( which has similar population of HK) every weekend

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05...king-epidemic/

the stats to prove it.

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/ass...the.nation.pdf

I'm just wondering why this is even a topic. Went to a camp in the states at 15 and found out every single one of them from 13-16 has been drinking for a year or so already.

Actually find it quite funny how 17.5 is a concern.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

cwardnyc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI:
    I'm just wondering why this is even a topic. Went to a camp in the states at 15 and found out every single one of them from 13-16 has been drinking for a year or so already.

Actually find it quite funny how 17.5 is a concern.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile
    I guess it's unclear from the opening post exactly what the concern was. It could have been a) drinking alcohol or b) theft of property from parents. I agree, a) for a 17.5 year old seems unnecessary to over hype; but b) theft is actually much more serious and I take this seriously. I do not expect any family members (I don't have kids) to take my stuff - that includes husband! Sure, some stuff (like the contents of the fridge) are "family property" for anyone to use... but other stuff (like my Baileys!) is mine and not to be taken by anyone else unless they actually ask and/or are offered. Personally I think the more important issue is that, to help kids understand that even within a family (or flat-share, for example!) you get on much better with other people if you don't steal their stuff.... that's a useful lesson to teach young adults who may not bother to think about such stuff.....
    bibbju and joanfung like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    the scale is very small compared to UK, a few kids ( barely hundred teenagers per week ) from population of 7 million in HK, compared to tens of thousand's in London ( which has similar population of HK) every weekend

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05...king-epidemic/

the stats to prove it.

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/ass...the.nation.pdf
    'Barely a hundred a week' do what?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    maybe due to Asian teenage moderation to alcohol, there is no drinking social problem among the young unlike UK, just look at uk town's during weekends near the clubs, allsorts of things happen ( not so nice things), worse still A & E are overwhelmed with this problem
    Maybe not but drugs like ketamine & meth ('ice' in HK) are a big deal at the estates & among the triad subculture.
    joanfung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Maybe not but drugs like ketamine & meth ('ice' in HK) are a big deal at the estates & among the triad subculture.
    the stats shows that drug problem here is much less than most countries ie, Holland, uk or us

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast