Like Tree42Likes

Groupthink...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Groupthink...

Have you encounter it much at your workplace in HK? I suspect the conformist local culture here produce quite alot of it.

Then again, why single out locals? Expats suffer from it all the same . The desire for conformity in the group results in an irrational decision-making outcome. It also involves close-mindedess, stereotyping those who opposed to the group as spiteful, impotent, or stupid. Not to mention peer pressure placed on members who disagree with the groupthink. Gasp, that does more and more remind me of geoexpat, don't you think?

Are you just getting sore that just about everyone has realised that you try to play the cool kid on the block by consistently disagreeing with everyone left, right and centre?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I'm going to wait to see what others have to say before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I'm going to wait to see what others have to say before responding.
    Awww, go on Claire -- you dont want to be accused of having a desire for conformity now, do you?

If I could be so bold to make a comment! I think the 'likes' system on sites like this and others might encourage groupthink, especially among regular forum users and especially among forum users who have history. I personally would never tick a like box. If I agreed or disagreed with a post strongly enough I would say so or else I wouldn't bother. Personally, I would simply get rid of them and encourage actual discourse.

HowardCoombs and Trance Omega like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I liked it to conform as I dont want to be accused of close-mindedness nor spiteful, impotent, stupid

I am waiting on Claire to present her view before I make up my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Are you just getting sore that just about everyone has realised that you try to play the cool kid on the block by consistently disagreeing with everyone left, right and centre?

And ta-ta, I present to you the groupthink evidence on geoexpat, your response. .

I'm not sore. I'm just Socrates here, pointing out the flaws in your point of view. I don't argue for the sake of it, but jut trying to show you the right path.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 16-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    ... I don't argue for the sake of it....

Quote Originally Posted by elle:

Well, that's because you can't see the forest from the trees on certain occasions. Sometimes someone need to show you the light out of the cave...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 16-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast