Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Like Tree42Likes

For English teachers, scholars, fusspots, and others

"I think that is why the phrase English as an Additional Language is used. A good phrase, which seems to show respect for both languages."

In the US it is called "ESOL" which stands for "English for speakers of other languages." It used to be "English as a second language" ("ESL") but ESOL was deemed more accurate, more respectful, not sure. Also many of the children and adults learning English speak several languages so "second" was incorrect. It's been in use for at least 10 years or so...probably closer to 20.

My daughter's old school district:

https://www.fcps.edu/academics/acade...languages-esol
    Last edited by MABinPengChau; 08-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    shri and R.O. like this.

Ee-zed

One of the oddities of HK English is the pronunciation of the last letter of the alphabet.

A good explanation I have heard is that when children learn to recite the alphabet, they merge the last two letters: "Why-ee-zed."

But I have recently come across this rhyming couplet written by Christopher Smart in the 1750s:

Oh! how we warble in our gizzards,
    With X X's, H H's and with Z Z's.
    And I have read that in some dialects, Z is or once was pronounced "izzard". So the HK pronunciation may not be as odd as it seems.

In HK when spelling my name, if there is any confusion I go directly to the HK-F as in eh-foo

Elegiaque and R.O. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    go directly to the HK-F as in eh-foo
    You need to go “Full-Hongkie” when pronouncing SF-Express:

Es-sy Ef-foo Ex-sy Pres-sy (8 syllables instead of 4)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6