View Poll Results: Which urban legend is likely to be true?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Organs Harvesting

3 11.54%
  • Body Snatcher

1 3.85%
  • HIV syringe Gang

0 0%
  • Fetus Eating

2 7.69%
  • Roman Chinese

0 0%
  • Underage Gymnast

12 46.15%
  • All of the above

8 30.77%
  • None of the above

0 0%

Fact or Urban Legend

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

One more for the Fact or Urban Legend poll:

Cremating a relative's body in a barbeque pit, cashing her retirement and Social Security cheques, making a necklace with a portion of her skull, which is worn around the neck, taking a photograph and posting the picture on a MySpace page.

If you guessed Fact, you're right!

Bizarre case/

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Is this myth or true:

"The bone business dates back to colonial times when British doctors needed a steady supply of human skeletons to stock anatomy classes in England. Before they had set up a reliable system for preparing human skeletons on a mass scale there was an extreme shortage of bones available for study. It drove some British doctors to rob graves in their own neighborhoods. Some cemeteries were so notorious for skulduggery that there were frequent fist fights between grieving families and shovel-carrying medical students."

Trailing Technology: The Bone Factory: India's Underground Trade in Human Remains
    I think this one is true, and not necessarily confined to India. I'm sure I've read that grave-robbing was fairly common by medics seeking cadavers (as opposed to skeletons - not much anatomy to be done on skeletons after all...) in the UK during 18th and 19th centuries. As with most things, it boiled down to a question of supply and demand apparently.

I'd also heard the urban myth of the guy wakes up in an ice bath with lipstick on the mirror saying to call the emergency services as he's had a kidney removed... (I think Dublin was the setting)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    I'd also heard the urban myth of the guy wakes up in an ice bath with lipstick on the mirror saying to call the emergency services as he's had a kidney removed... (I think Dublin was the setting)
    To the OP, take note of the important use of the words 'urban myth' -everything's gonna be OK

it might no longer be an "urban myth" with the rise of melamine tainted products....everyone in China would need a new kidney soon!! so beware!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Roman Chinese
    FAKE
    So if it's on Wikipedia it has to be TRUE!!! lol

Not sure if anyone has ever been in the NW region of China (Xinjiang), but there are Chinese people mixed with turk ancestry which looked like the picture in this article.
    Last edited by ccino; 04-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.