Like Tree61Likes

Overpaid, incompetent HK civil servants!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I reported illegally idling cars...a couple of cases a day, every day for two weeks in a row. They didn't even bother replying to my emails.
    What efficiency?

Ok I agree with all of the above and we all seem to be fans of our civil servants .
    Also got to put a good word in about the Australians : renewed my passport recently I think it took about 3to 4minutes after filled in the dead easy on line form : 10working days later surrender the old and out the door with the new all for about a grand Hong Kong : they could not have made it simpler .
    don't know if other embassies as good

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I reported illegally idling cars...a couple of cases a day, every day for two weeks in a row. They didn't even bother replying to my emails.
    What efficiency?
    Yeah it's a failure for sure and I wonder why. Car lobby is too strong I guess!

What efficiency?
    Problem is that when the police come, they have already left (idling cars only stay in a place for a couple of minutes). If the police has to run behind every car that was left idling, cops would be all sweaty.

hmm, just installed this 1823 app on my phone. Now looking for something to complain about.

Tom007, lingc, Rob2020 and 1 others like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I pointed out an English error (made-up word) on a government website, just because I could.

I received a polite thank you from the department and the error was amended.

I should really contact the IRD about their grammatical errors, but the word 'audit' pops into mind.

Tom007 and bdw like this.

I do have a gripe with all the various government websites. For some rather strange purpose I had to navigate and find a lot number and the OZP number for a property, cue about 2 hours of solid searching and reading through a gazillion minute notes.

Overpaid? You could argue that they are overpaid compared to the average private sector employee.

They get to retire on a pension at age 55!! Given the high life expectancy here, that is on average 30 years of getting paid to do nothing.

*I think HK recently raised the age to 60 grandfathered in, but still pretty good deal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Liked:
    Problem is that when the police come, they have already left (idling cars only stay in a place for a couple of minutes). If the police has to run behind every car that was left idling, cops would be all sweaty.
    If they stay only for a couple of minutes, they won't be breaking the law (which says, you can idle if it's under 3 minutes).
    What I am talking about is cars/trucks idling for half an hour/one hour or more. Like taxi drivers sleeping, couples on a date happily playing candy crush on their smartphones, police vans enjoying aircon instead of going about their duties.. things like that.
    East_coast likes this.

If they stay only for a couple of minutes, they won't be breaking the law (which says, you can idle if it's under 3 minutes).
    What I am talking about is cars/trucks idling for half an hour/one hour or more. Like taxi drivers sleeping, couples on a date happily playing candy crush on their smartphones, police vans enjoying aircon instead of going about their duties.. things like that.
    But you send them E-mails to tell the car is idle?? Surely there isn't someone there reading your E-mails all day long. They might read them once a day. You should call the police, if they are breaking the law, not send E-mails!!