Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By Cho-man

Future of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

Future of Hong Kong?

Report: San Francisco To Shut Doors Over Rising Rent - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Saying that staying in its current location was no longer feasible, sources across San Francisco confirmed Thursday that the popular Northern California city would be shutting its doors at the end of the month due to rising rent.Residents and business owners of the iconic West Coast metropolis, which has occupied the same peninsula for generations, told reporters that spiraling costs had reached such a level that remaining in its 47-square-mile waterfront space was simply beyond its means.

“Unfortunately, we just can’t afford to keep San Francisco in San Francisco Bay,” Gonzalez added.According to sources, the city’s rent has increased by more than 40 percent since 2010—including 16 percent in the past year alone—requiring San Francisco to set aside a greater share of its income each year until finally pricing it out of the Bay Area completely. While San Franciscans expressed their hope that the municipality could stay somewhere close by, they noted that rents have also risen sharply in the East Bay and that the costly Silicon Valley area was “completely out of their price range,” leaving the city with no choice but to look for a spot further inland.
    “Besides,” he added, “for what we’re paying here, we can probably get a place that’s newer and way less cramped.”

With the municipality’s departure imminent, San Franciscans have reportedly begun the task of preparing for the move by calling to disconnect the city’s electric and water service from the local San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and beginning to pack up the city’s many cable cars.
    Cho-man likes this.

Of course, I am sure you realized the onion is a paper that specialize in satire.

Btw, HK will never price itself out. Either the property bubble collaspe or richer folks move in and the poorer folks are kicked to the curb.

Open Casket likes this.

Obviously... I'd like to see a real city do this, though. :P

My family in the Bay Area blame the....... the Mainlanders!

Dankleness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Obviously... I'd like to see a real city do this, though. :P

My family in the Bay Area blame the....... the Mainlanders!
    Tell them to move to Oakland, hehehe.

I was going to say San Jose and the Silicon Valley, but if anything, those places cost just as much if not more. Palo Alto? Foster City? Cupertino? Mountain View? Very pricey...

Oakland is ridiculously high, too. Probably a good place to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Oakland is ridiculously high, too. Probably a good place to invest.
    Not in the crime-ridden sections of Oakland, that city has one of the highest crime rate in the Bay Area after all...

“Besides,” he added, “for what we’re paying here, we can probably get a place that’s newer and way less cramped.”

A new announcement from the Mayor:

"Yeah, we've done it! A place that's newer and way less cramped. It's called Altamount, no Altamont, and they say it used to be a speedway? I guess. And hear this: the SFPD will be disbanded and the Hell's Angel folks will handle security, just for a few bottles of beer. The Rolling Stones will sing every night, for free. My friends, this is a great day for the most civilized city in America, as we walk through a new Golden Gate."