License to have children?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Jonnye, your elaboration of my initial post is perplexing as I haven't talked anywhere about what the rules would actually be or who would be allowed to have children. Perhaps you are reading into it your own prejudices.
    haha - perhaps I am reading my own prejudices into it. I would like to think not however. I was merely asking the question as to where you would stop, and then providing an example, as KIA had also hinted at as well.

Your original post did (seriously I assume) suggest implementing a license that can only be granted upon passing a test. I'm really not sure how you would run a test that would verify parenting ability though. Perhaps a UK-style driving test that combines a written exam and a practical test?

Would a criminal record rule one out of passing this test? Or perhaps only certain offences? (which is what you seem to imply below) I'd love to know what qualifies as prone to violence. To be somewhat facetious, no kids for soldiers I assume?

For me I don't care who has children as long as they provide them with a loving environment. The only people that should be stopped from having children are those who are prone to violence and abuse. I don't see why it would be so hard to institute at the very least, (as movingin07 states) a parenting class, before or during pregnancy, at least first time round. We won't stop all abuse by any means but education might just help people who don't know any better raise their children in a loving, supportive environment rather than one dominated by fear and reprimands.
    I can't think of anything worse than having a mandatory government 'parenting class' to attend before I can have a child. I have a suspicion that the amount of abuse that goes on is actually not that large - however horrific individual cases might be - and I don't see how a class will reduce this.

What happens if I repeatedly fail the test? Do I not get a 'Free to have Unprotected Sex Certificate'?

I could think of it as more of a certificate you get when you graduate from a course where attendance is the only criteria for getting the certificate, unless there are other mitigating circumstances.

So, for 99% of people, they go on a few parenting classes, learn how to hold, wash, feed a baby, learn abit about discipline etc etc and then get their certificate. But for 1% of people who have a violent criminal record, rapist, pedophile, convicted drug user or other such criteria (such definitions to be defined using the normal criminal statutes we already have to define "bad people") they would have to pass some additional test to get their certificate. Except for pedophiles who should be banned for life. That would be simple, fair and hit the objective of preventing only those really nasty pieces of work from having kids.

Oh and as for teenage pregnancies etc etc - compulsory attendance at the course as soon as you know you are pregnant or give birth, whichever is earlier. No "penalties".