Like Tree16Likes

Celebrate the genius while they're still alive

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another vote for Jack White, think he's someone who is under appreciated now when he shouldn't be.

Also think that from the world of film that we will be a lot worse off without:

Harrison Ford
    Merryl Streep
    Steven Speilberg
    Helen Mirren
    Martin Scorcese
    Samuel L Jackson
    Clint Eastwood (chair speaking aside)

And many years from now I think we'll all miss:

Benedict Cumberbach
    Leonardo Di Caprio
    Tom Hanks
    Lupita Nyong'o
    Idris Elba
    Michael Fassbender
    Andy Serkis
    Jon Stewart

And loads more I'm too tired to list

Does physical genius count? In that case, Jackie Chan. His stunt work and action choreography is second to none. Amazing how he's still alive and not confined to a wheelchair.

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 22-01-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Mamba

@Eddy Mundo Jacky Chan, oh yes. Legend.

Jet Li? Amazing but legend?

Mamba

Jack White? Yep, anyone seen the documentary It Might Get Loud?

Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge talking guitars.

There were two legends in that film and one absolute pretender.

In my old local back home the longest-lasting game was Dead List.

Revellers used to put in 20p a week and choose a famous person they thought would die next. If the person you named did die next, you'd win whatever was the in pot.

As you can imagine, the pot used to grow to a fairly sizeable amount before someone on the list died. I can't remember who died, but two famous people died within a week or so of each other. The first reveller won something like 400/500 pounds. Next reveller won only a couple of pounds.

That, folks, is real tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Who buys new music? You just stream it.

Jacques Pépin had a minor stroke in May 2015, just turned 80 in December, and said his current TV series (called Heart and Soul) will be his last. I can't think of anyone who has had a bigger (positive) impact on what Americans eat. His memoir, "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen," is a must read for anyone interested in food. I lucked into a signed copy of the now out-of-print hardback on ebay.

Robot Check

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Jacques Pépin had a minor stroke in May 2015, just turned 80 in December, and said his current TV series (called Heart and Soul) will be his last. I can't think of anyone who has had a bigger (positive) impact on what Americans eat. His memoir, "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen," is a must read for anyone interested in food. I lucked into a signed copy of the now out-of-print hardback on ebay.

Robot Check
    Very good call, Huja...

Jacques Pépin, what a great man, and agree with you, if you have an interest in gastronomy, JP is a great living inspiration, and his legacy will live on, lobg after he pops his clogs. I LOVE people like him, you can learn a lot from them, not just about food, but life too. They help you understand appreciation.

Here is an excellent talk about JP's career with Anthony Bourdain... Perfect Sunday viewing with this inclement weather.

Last edited by Skyhook; 24-01-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    Prince
    Paul McCartney
    Stevie Wonder
    Sting
    I've seen Prince in concert three times. That man was born to be on stage. What a talent. What a showman.
    Eddy Mundo likes this.