Like Tree15Likes

Language as a way of gaining insight... or not?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I gold my husband yesterday that nobody ever changes their mind on here: seems I was wrong on that. Thanks - these posts are interesting. I find the links between language and culture fascinating and there is always more to learn especially from people who speak more than one.
    Here is one for you then. In English mention of female genitalia is pretty much taboo. You can get away with pussy but not much more. In Kapampangan it is in nearly every sentence even by young girls. Why? Well I perhaps would relate it to the strong position of women in Filipino culture, in the world table of gender gap the Philippines come in 7th just behind the Scandinavian countries.
    HK_Katherine and mobtrio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Here is one for you then. In English mention of female genitalia is pretty much taboo. You can get away with pussy but not much more. In Kapampangan it is in nearly every sentence even by young girls. Why? Well I perhaps would relate it to the strong position of women in Filipino culture, in the world table of gender gap the Philippines come in 7th just behind the Scandinavian countries.
    That's a terrific. Even more if we consider that it is in a society that heavily influenced by 'retarded' culture/religion.

Haha, sorry, I just can not resist...

Some words last millennium others a few weeks of common usage with an average somewhere in between.

That a language adopts a word from another language is not unusual and has been happening since time began. Just because one language has a word that fits slightly better so gets adopted doesn't really seem to be worthy of note on any significant cultural level.